Golden Queen Mining Company, LLC (the “Company”) operates a gold and silver, open pit, heap leach operation on its Soledad Mountain property, located just outside the town of Mojave in Kern County in southern California. The Project uses conventional open pit mining methods and the cyanide heap leach and Merrill-Crowe processes to recover gold and silver from crushed, agglomerated ore. This is a safety sensitive position.
The Company is seeking a Mine Planning Engineer for its Soledad Mountain Project (the “Project”) in Mojave. The mine planning engineer is responsible for the development of both long-term and short-term mine designs. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a mining operation and contribute to the success of the operations with optimized mine plans.
This position reports to the Manager – Mining.
- Develop both long-term and short-term plans for a complex series of ore bodies using Mine Sight software;
- Ensure that the series of short-term plans links seamlessly to the long-term plans;
- Design access ramps that make the best use of the difficult topography and waste rock disposal areas (Ore stockpiles may be required if there is a need to blend ores);
- Schedule the movement of ore and waste according to the plan;
- Conduct studies and prepare reports on alternative mine designs and mining scenarios;
- Have a good knowledge of 4D optimizations, how they work, how optimization parameters are put together and how optimization is used in mine design and ore reserve calculations;
- Work closely with the drill/blast engineer to design blast masters to ensure excellent fragmentation;
- Review mine operating costs and always be on the look-out for ways of reducing costs;
- Evaluate alternative mining methods and equipment needs to ensure that the mining method is suitable and may have to be varied from time to time to ensure ore- from-waste separation is and remains effective with minimum dilution;
- Be aware of the need to separate quality waste rock and store quality waste rock for the proposed aggregate operation and allow for this in the mine design;
- Communicate and work closely with mine operations management;
- Be familiar with and comply with the Company’s safety and health policies.
- A Bachelor’s degree in mining engineering, geological engineering, or equivalent;
- Expert user of Mine Sight mine planning software or other mining software, and some experience with Surpac;
- Experience with open pit optimizations;
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in open planning plus, open pit operating experience a plus;
- Knowledge of how to prepare budgets, model cash flows, and an awareness of the main items in balance sheets and income statements will be an advantage and
- An ability to communicate and present information in a manner that is clear and understandable.
- Driver’s license required
Must be willing to relocate to Southern California.
The Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Relocation assistance will be provided if necessary.
Sponsorship will not be provided for this position.
Golden Queen Mining Company is a drug and alcohol free work place, with a zero tolerance policy. If an offer is made to a candidate, the candidate must be willing to undergo a hair follicle and urine drug test, as well as background check, and physical.
Notice to recruitment and/or staffing firms:
The Company will not pay any fees for recruitment activities related to the hiring of a candidate for the position of Mine Planning Engineer unless a services agreement has been entered into between the recruitment and/or staffing firm.
Go to www.goldenqueen.comfor information on the Company and the Project.
Job Type: Full-time
- Driver's License (Required)