Full Job Description
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems (NGAS) is seeking a Flight Controls Special Projects Section Manager (SM) to join our Aeronautics Engineering Organization. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, CA.
As a leader, you always act with integrity, and the highest ethical standards characterize everything you do. You enable your team to achieve predictable and consistent results, while satisfying the needs of internal and external partners. You treat all people with respect, and you model personal growth and continuous development. You know how to build an inclusive environment that attracts, retains, and inspires a diverse and engaged team. You develop trusted and valued customer relationships and communicate effectively, so that people throughout the organization feel engaged and connected to their work. You deliver excellence, strive for continuous improvement and respond vigorously to change. You ensure that your team has the information and tools needed to perform at their best. You demonstrate our committed pursuit of applying innovation to meet the requirements of our customer. You craft and execute strategies that result in sustainable value creation that delivers measurable results.
The Flight Controls Special Projects Section Manager is responsible for providing functional home room (FHR) management of a
team of GN&C engineers who are responsible for the development of GN&C baselines for Special Projects. You will interface frequently with section members, functional manager and all programs your team supports. You will be tasked with setting and implementing functional/organizational objectives and providing guidance to employees. Additional responsibilities performance tracking and evaluation of section members and assisting/leading hiring activities for her/his group. You will be responsible for supporting the section members with functional, human resource and development activities. This SM role will comprise approximately 20% of your work and the remaining 80% will be fulfilling a technical role as an Controls/VMS engineer.
We want the following skills:
Excellent interpersonal, leadership, communication, and organizational skills and professional development/mentoring skills
Demonstrated ability to implement process improvements, streamline activities, and develop effective processes
Technical background in Airborne Controls Subsystem design
Bachelor's Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) discipline with 4 years of experience in GNC and/or VMS
Experience in GNC development deliverables and processes
Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret clearance
Masters or PhD in STEM
Demonstrated leadership experience
3+ years of working GN&C for advanced concepts through conceptual and preliminary design for air projects
Experience developing linear and non-linear vehicle dynamic simulations
Understanding of flight critical software development and testing
1+ year of experience leading technical teams in the areas of GNC
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.