The Project Accountant will report directly to the Controller and will play a key role in developing methods to track, report and analyze the financial results of a variety of construction projects and ancillary services. The Midas Companies perform work on both Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) and Percentage-of-Completion (POC) terms. The successful candidate will have experience in project accounting in the Construction Industry. In addition to strong knowledge of accounting principles and procedures, the ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of developing customized analysis to inform decision making at both a project-level and a strategic-level. This individual must be a team player, a problem-solver and view themselves as a resource for the operations group. Responsibilities:
- Assist with the development of allocation methods for indirect and general & administrative (G&A) costs to revenue-generating divisions. Track allocations and apply to jobs and revenue-generating divisions.
- Review monthly project reports for accuracy/completeness and maintain Work-in-Progress (WIP) schedule for projects tracked on a POC basis. Ensure that current year revenue and job costs reconcile with the General Ledger and Job Cost modules of the company’s accounting software.
- Review direct costs entries to ensure that all costs are tied to jobs. Review indirect costs and G&A to ensure that job-specific costs are not misapplied. Work with project management staff to refine coding and tracking procedures to improve accuracy.
- Assist with the development of internal equipment rental rates.
- Perform rent vs. buy analysis and maintain vs. replace analysis for major equipment.
- Assist with the development of revenue recognition methodologies for various project types.
- Regularly review POs and other outstanding commitments to see if they should be closed or modified.
- Facilitate cross-functional project status review meetings on an as-needed basis
- Coordinate post-mortem analysis of jobs and provide timely, actionable feedback to estimating, project management and accounting stakeholders.
- Ad-hoc analysis as requested
Knowledge & Experience:
- 5+ years of project accounting experience in the construction industry
- Knowledge of managerial accounting principles and experience developing ad hoc reports and analysis for stakeholders outside of the accounting department.
- Previous experience with indirect and overhead allocation
- Experience with accounting for both IDIQ and POC construction projects preferred
- Experience with the administration of subcontracts preferred
- Experience tracking job performance against estimates and with earned value techniques
- Excellent knowledge of MS Excel functions and formulas, demonstrated experience building financial and analytical models.
- Bachelors in Accounting with a focus on managerial accounting or an equivalent combination of skills and experience
- Certified Construction Industry Financial Professional (CCIFP) designation is a plus
- Experience with Foundation Accounting Software and Heavy Bid Estimating Software is a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive pay (based on experience)
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Holidays
- Health Insurance
- 401K Employer Match
Job Type: Full-time
- accounting: 5 years (Preferred)
- General Ledger: 5 years (Preferred)
- construction industry: 5 years (Preferred)
- Project Accounting: 5 years (Preferred)