Humboldt State University’s Department of Kinesiology and Recreation Administration invites applications for an academic year tenure-track faculty position in Exercise Science.
RANK, SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Rank and salary are dependent on the appointee’s qualifications and experience. The current California State University Salary Schedule is available at: https://hraps.humboldt.edu/faculty-salary-schedule
Humboldt State University provides an excellent benefits package. Information about benefits plans can be found at: http://www.humboldt.edu/forms/node/934
An earned doctorate or equivalent terminal degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology or related field from an accredited college or university is preferred at the time of appointment. Applicants with considerable progress towards terminal degree completion by appointment date will be considered. Completion of terminal degree is required prior to the start of the second probationary year following initial appointment.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following:
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Record of, or potential for effective teaching for Exercise Physiology and Fitness Assessment/Programming
- Record of, or potential for effective teaching using a variety of methodologies;
- Demonstration of and/or experience in promoting and fostering a learning environment that is supportive of individuals from diverse backgrounds and abilities;
- Record of, or potential for, involving students in research and scholarly activity;
- Record of, or potential for, building successful partnerships with community agencies;
- Interest and ability to teach a broad range of courses (major, general education, etc.); and
- Willingness to participate in the development of online learning experiences.
- Ability to teach one or more of the following: Exercise Physiology, Fitness Assessment/Programing, Strength and Conditioning, Evaluation Techniques of Kinesiology, Statistics in Kinesiology or other graduate-level courses. Instructional assignments will be consistent with the programmatic needs of the department and students.
- Professional certifications in health fitness and/or performance-related fitness from leading professional organizations, such as the ACSM or NSCA; and
- Interest and ability to develop external funding proposals.
At the time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services to work in the United States. For information on the University policy on support for non-immigrant probationary faculty visa acquisition, please visit: https://extended.humboldt.edu/international-programs/immigration/faculty
Evidence of degree(s) is required at time of hire.
The primary professional responsibilities of instructional faculty members are: teaching; research, scholarship and creative activity; and service to the University, profession and to the community. These responsibilities include: advising students, participation in campus and system-wide committees, maintaining office hours, working collaboratively and productively with colleagues, and participation in traditional academic functions. Probationary faculty are typically provided ongoing mentorship to be a successful member of the faculty. During the first two years of the probationary period, teaching responsibilities will be reduced by approximately one course each semester. The reduced teaching load supports the establishment of research, scholarship and/or creative activities required for retention, tenure and promotion.
The Department of Kinesiology and Recreation Administration houses undergraduate programs in Kinesiology and Recreation Administration and a graduate program in Kinesiology. The Kinesiology major has 500 major and minor students. For more information, please visit: https://www2.humboldt.edu/kra.
Qualified candidates should submit the following materials through Interfolio:
Click here to apply:
- Letter of application;
- Curriculum vita;
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Research Interests
- Graduate transcripts (unofficial copies are sufficient for initial review);
- Names and contact information for three professional references or three letters of recommendation.
Additional application materials may be requested at a later time.
Please direct any questions pertaining to this position, the Department of Kinesiology and Recreation Administration, or Humboldt State University to:
Dr. Taylor Bloedon, Search Committee Chair
Department of Kinesiology & Recreation Administration
Humboldt State University
One Harpst Street
Arcata, California 95521-8299
Phone (707) 826-5967
This position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than November 26th, 2018. Early applications are encouraged.
See more photos at Humboldt State University’s Flickr page.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide complete and accurate employment information. Evidence of required degree(s), certifications(s), or licenses(s) will be required prior to the appointment date. A background check (including a criminal records check, employment verification, and education verification) must be completed satisfactorily as a condition of employment with the CSU. Certain positions may also require a credit check, motor vehicle report, and/or fingerprinting through Live Scan service. Adverse findings from a background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position. All CSU employees are obligated to respond to and report incidents of sexual harassment and sexual violence. The successful candidate for this position will be mandated to receive relevant training on an annual basis. The person holding this position is considered a ‘limited reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
New employees hired by the CSU for the first time who first become CalPERS members on or after July 1, 2017 are subject to a 10 year vesting period for retiree health and dental benefits.
Humboldt State University is a Title IX/Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status. If accommodations need to be made during the recruitment and interview process, please contact Human Resources at (707) 826-3626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.