Full Job Description
United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 10508439
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the
examination may be limited.
Job Posting Period
11/30/2020 - 12/14/2020
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS INTERN
NY Metro Division
80 County Road
Jersey City, NJ 07097
TITLE: TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS (Comp Science) SUMMER INTERN
GRADE: E5 - 07
FLSA DESIGNATION: Non-Exempt
OCCUPATION CODE: 1599-0003
NON-SCHEDULED DAYS: SAT/SUN (may vary)
HOURS: 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. (may vary)
SALARY RANGE: 20.00 USD Hourly
FINANCE NUMBER: 89904
BENEFIT INFORMATION: This 10 week internship position is a non-career position, therefore there are no benefits
Persons Eligible to Apply
To be eligible for the Summer Intern Program, an individual must have a minimum of 60 credit hours completed towards a
qualifying bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university by the posting date of the job.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST ATTACH RESUME AND TRANSCRIPT (OFFICIAL or UNOFFICIAL) TO BE CONSIDERED FOR
ALL APPLICANTS MUST BE AVAILABLE TO START ON MONDAY, MAY 24, 2021 TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS
The Inspection Service criminal background check is conducted using United States information resources only (e.g., FBI
fingerprint check, state and county checks). A criminal background check involves a 5-year inquiry for any location where
the individual has resided, worked or gone to school within the United States or its territories. As a result of this limitation,
the criminal background checks of individuals who have not resided in the United States or its territories for the preceding
5-years may not be considered complete. The Inspection Service may be able to process inquiries for U.S. Citizens only,
but only if their time spent out of the country was spent as: a trailing spouse or dependent of someone working for the U.S.
government (military or civilian), a missionary, a student attending school in a foreign country, a Peace Corps participant, or
as an employee of a U.S.-based employer/company. If the Inspection Service is unable to perform a complete background
check because of residency outside the United States, such individuals will be ineligible for Postal employment.
Technical Requirements Interns will apply their knowledge and understanding of related principles and practices gained from
their program of study to support an assigned project in the Mail Entry Payment Technology (MEPT) Organization. Project
opportunities will focus on business mailer requirements, and will involve software development, problem solving using
computers, data modeling and analysis, or cloud computing programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supports an assigned project; analyzes, designs, tests, and documents requirements for Mail Entry and Payment
Technology (MEPT) business information systems, including mobile and cloud-based IT platforms.
2. Develops an understanding of project assignment including goals, tasks, deadlines and key stakeholders. Communicates
updates and project developments as needed.
3. Applies computer science principles, practices, and methodologies to assigned project; develops project-related materials
using computer science and information technology theories and applications.
4. Translates business requirements into technical requirements; collaborates with the Information Technology team to
develop, test, and deploy solutions that enable the desired functionality.
5. Collaborates with onboarding partner(s) to conduct market research, data analysis, and to develop reports in support of
proposed business requirements and solutions.
6. Collaborates with internal and external software development groups to gain familiarity with lifecycle processes (e.g.,
project plans, test scripts).
Manager of unit to which assigned.
The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivated
and innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, and
experience the following requirements:
1. Ability to acquire new knowledge and skills through on-the-job training and self-directed learning, including researching
information using various sources of information such as existing policies, processes, systems, databases and online
2. EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be currently enrolled in a bachelor’s or graduate computer science degree
program, or another closely related field accredited by the U.S. Department of Education.
3. Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a succinct and organized manner; producing written materials, taking into
account proper audience, content, format, and grammar.
4. Ability to coordinate work, maintain positive work relationships and interact with a team sufficient to complete assignments,
including communicating orally and in writing and completing tasks independently.
5. Ability to attend to details sufficient to ensure accuracy and comprehensiveness of work.
6. Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint,) sufficient to analyze data and create
presentations, reports, meaningful charts, graphs or other data visualizations for management.
7. Knowledge of computer design, simulation or programming software or other appropriate software to perform routine
design and analysis, and to develop solutions for identified computer problems.
8. Ability to analyze, interpret and apply computer science procedures in a variety of situations and recommend effective
**This position requires a NACI clearance. This process can take up to 6 - 8 weeks from the date the offer letter is returned**
This is a two-step application process requiring you to create a profile and submit an application for the position for which you
are applying. You will receive two email confirmations:
A) An email confirming your profile is complete.
B) After submitting your application you will receive a second email confirming your application has been successfully
ALL APPLICANTS MUST ATTACH RESUME AND TRANSCRIPT TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION!!!
For additional information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.