Housing Authority of the City of East St. Louis
Title: Maintenance Mechanic II
Reports To: Property Manager
Salary: $31,200.00 (Non-Exempt)
Performs minor and major, emergency, and preventive maintenance activities, as
detailed in the key duties section.
1. Patch and/or replace walls and ceilings damaged by leakage, breakage, etc.
2. Repairing, installing windows, screens, doors, storm doors, caulking, railings,
vents, siding, gutters, downspouts and roofing.
3. Repair or replacement of plumbing fixtures, such as sinks, commodes, water
valves and pipes.
4. Unclog bath or kitchen fixtures and drain or sewer lines.
5. Preparation and painting of interior and exterior areas in a timely and efficient
6. Repairing and cleaning stoves, refrigerators, furnaces, hot water tanks, air
conditioners, and other mechanical equipment or appliances.
7. Repair or replacement of light fixtures, switches, receptacles, circuit breakers,
fans, and other electrical apparatus.
8. Maintain, repair, and/or replace gas or electrical residential heating and cooling
equipment including filters, controls, and blower motors.
9. General grounds maintenance including trash removal, lawncare including cutting,
raking and removal of grass, weeds and debris and weed cutting, trimming and
removal. Maintains grounds through the safe, effective and efficient use of walk
behind and riding mowers, weed eaters, edgers, leaf blowers, hedge trimmers, and
other lawn care and landscape equipment.
10. Repair and installation of locks, interior cabinets, medicine chest, shelves,
flooring, base molding, shades, curtain rods, and any related hardware.
Maintenance Mechanic II
11. Complete vacant unit preparation, including tear-out, repairs to bring the unit to
the state where it can be occupied and preliminary and final cleaning.
12. May be assigned tasks from the Maintenance Specialist Job Description to the
extent deemed qualified by the Property Manager.
13. Assists manager with the development of janitorial, groundskeeper and/or
maintenance contract specifications.
14. Practices safety precautions and is safety conscious at all times.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Attendance is reliable; leave does not exceed the amount permitted, the
employee has no unexcused absences.
2. Employee takes all appropriate safety precautions to avoid on-the-job accidents,
and immediately notifies supervisor of all safety hazards.
3. Employee is available to respond to after hour emergency conditions as needed.
4. Work orders are completed and repairs are made in a timely manner per ESLHA
5. All equipment, parts, tools, etc. are secured daily and kept clean and in good
6. Demonstrates a working knowledge of techniques, methods, materials, and
equipment used in painting, plumbing, carpentry, heating, electrical, and other
7. Demonstrates good resident relations skills and the ability to work well with
8. All required ESLHA paperwork is prepared properly and submitted (turned in,
closed out, etc.) on a timely basis.
9. Must wear appropriate uniform, identification, and required work attire including
but not limited to steel-toe shoes, necessary ear and eye protection daily.
10. Must be able to operate and properly care for:
a. Motor vehicles (trucks or autos;
b. Push and riding mowers, trimmers, weed eaters, and other lawn equipment;
c. Hand and yard tools, including hammer, screwdrivers, saw, knife, level, drill,
and wrenches, and other hand tools necessary for particular job performing;
Maintenance Mechanic II
d. Auger and Sewer rooting equipment up to ½ horsepower – 8” diameter;
e. Painting equipment including roller, brush and sprayer;
f. Floor buffer/polishing equipment;
g. Key cutter, shade cutter, sprayer, post hole, digger, etc.; and
h. Maintain written records of work performed and materials used in the system
utilized by ESLHA.
11. Assist management personnel, as requested, including:
b. Keeping shop clean and organized;
c. Unit and grounds Inspections;
d. Escorting of Contractors on the premises;
e. Attend special training programs, as available;
f. Distribution of non-legal notices;and
g. Such other related duties as may be required including temporary
Education: Requires a high school diploma or GED.
Trade school diploma/certificate desirable.
Experience: A minimum of three (3) years experience and/or certified training in
maintenance repair activities preferred. A minimum of three (3) years
experience in building maintenance activities. Previous experience
preferred in a similar position and with a property management entity
Requirements: Maintain a valid Driver's License throughout employment.
• firstname.lastname@example.org or online at: www.eslha.org
East St. Louis Housing Authority is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Maintenance Mechanic II