American Red Cross New Jersey Region
209 Fairfield Rd
Fairfield, NJ 08540
September thru mid December
Weekly Internship Hours Required: 21 to 28 hours per week
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs.
American Red Cross New Jersey Region interns are involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our non-profit organization, gaining an insider’s perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission as well as service delivery at the local and national levels. In our region you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services.
About This Internship
During non-emergencies, the Planning department works to recruit new volunteers while training its current ones, and encouraging them to take on leadership roles. The training department also works to keep itself updated by learning and implementing any new developments in the Concept of Operations (CONOPS) that may from National Red Cross. In times of emergencies, the Planning department works to always maintain situational awareness of the disaster, disseminate proper information to important stakeholders, and to properly conduct any required reporting as per Standard Operation Procedure.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a degree program at the time of the internship, preferably as an Undergraduate Senior or above
- Area of Study Sought: Urban Planning, Emergency Management, Business Continuity, Geographic Information System, Public Policy and Administration, Business Administration
- Established background or interest in working in Emergency Management and GIS Mapping is a plus
- Intermediate proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Intermediate knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software is a plus
- Familiarity with Microsoft SharePoint is a plus
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
The intern will be working directly with the Planning, Readiness, and Situational Awareness Director. The intern’s tenure will be broken down into two main roles: Operational State and Steady State roles.
- Operational State refers to instances where a significant incident has occurred and the activation of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) is warranted. During such activation the intern will work with other Planning volunteers to gain complete situational awareness of what is happening in the incident zone, then produce and disseminate incident reports. The intern will also contribute to the development of an Incident Action Plan (IAPs). This plan essentially outlines the ‘what’, ‘how’, ‘why’, and ‘when’ of the Red Cross disaster relief activities for that particular incident.
- For Steady State times (meaning non-emergency times), the intern will work with the Director of Planning and other key volunteers in program-building projects. Such projects will consist of any of the following categories, which are geared towards sharpening the skills of the Planning department for future disasters: speedy volunteer on-boarding process, volunteer training curriculum's and training exercises, position classification, volunteer engagement, and other.
What You'll Learn
- Upper managerial skills
- Volunteer management skills
- Emergency management skills
- Networking skills
- Objective-driven planning
- FEMA Incident Command System (ICS)
Job Type: Internship