Total Systems Solutions Consulting Inc currently seeking an experienced Intermediate Full Stack Developer for our client Ministry of Education in Victoria, BC.
The Ministry of Education (“Ministry”) provides leadership and funding to the K-12 system, through governance, and various acts, legislation, policy and standards.At the center of these applications is the Personal Education Number (PEN), the unique identifier for students within the Ministry’s systems.
Students entering BC’s education system are assigned a Personal Education Number (PEN) – a unique nine-digit number.
PEN data is used for provincial exams, graduation credentials, provincial scholarships and bursaries, funding / grant distribution, research and reporting.
The current PEN Registry resides on OpenVMS, part of the Critical Systems Registry, and is outdated.Significant changes in the education and funding models over the past 20 years have resulted in satellite applications being integrated to augment functionality.This has created additional complexity and risk in supporting the core business needs.
Students typically are not aware of their own PEN number until they are required to apply for employment or a post-secondary institution and need to log in to the Student Transcript Service to access their transcript
The Ministry of Education, as part of the Child Care Working Group, identified the need to track the learning experiences of children prior to entering the school system.
In addition, there is a vision to link the PEN to the Provincial Identity Management Program (IDIM) to support the digital delivery of services to students and citizens, and support schools.
Overall, the investment in a modern PEN Registry integrated with IDIM will enable system integration with other ministries and stakeholders, resulting in improved service delivery to students, parents, teachers and administrators.
This project will deliver results iteratively. The current roadmap includes the following key deliverables:
- A PEN-based, IDIM-integrated, common Online Access Module
- An online Student PEN Request application
- A new PEN Registry system supporting both the legacy system interfaces (during transition) and modern RESTful integrations. Includes the migration of PEN data to the new Registry.
- Onboarding of partner applications to the Online Access Module
- Improved services to and integration with the school-based Student Information System, MyEducation BC.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience as a full-stack software development (front-end and back-end) using modern languages, frameworks and tools.
- Experience working as part of an agile team to incrementally deliver value for the users of a product or digital service.
- Experience with source control systems such as GIT and SVN.
- Experience with continuous delivery pipelines and automated testing.
- Experience developing in an open source environment desired.
- Experience with containerization, such as Docker, Kubernetes, or OpenShift desired.
- Experience with RESTful API development, management and integration desired.
- Experience with authentication and authorization frameworks such as OAuth2 desired.
- The successful candidate will be required to 35 hours/week remotely during COVID-19.
June to 31st March 2021
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $90.00 to $100.00 /hour
- continuous delivery pipelines and automated testing: 3 years (Required)
- RESTful API development: 2 years (Preferred)
- developing in an open source environment: 2 years (Preferred)
- full-stack (front-end & back-end) using frameworks & tools: 3 years (Required)
- authorization frameworks such as OAuth2: 2 years (Preferred)
- containerization, such as Docker, Kubernetes, or OpenShift: 2 years (Preferred)
- messaging technologies such as NATS: 1 year (Preferred)
- agile team: 3 years (Required)
- Authentication frameworks such as BCeID and IDIR: 1 year (Preferred)
- source control systems such as GIT and SVN: 3 years (Required)