Office of Public Safety Administration
THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT HAS BEEN EXTENDED THROUGH JANUARY 7, 2022
Number of Positions:
Under direction, manages the Office of Public Safety Administration’s (OPSA) Medical Services Section, supervising a team of clinical case managers engaged in the administrative case review and assessment of medical files, records and psychological evaluations to assess and recommend fitness for duty, and performs related duties as required
- Manages medical case reviews and approves outside medical care and surgical procedure clearances for sworn members with On-Duty injuries
- Develops and implements medical quality assurance standards
- Monitors long-term disability cases and tracks Medical and Limited Duty leaves of absences and related payroll and other expenses recommending changes and improvements
- Confers with the department’s Medical Director to address concerns regarding medical protocols, treatment, and other medical services provided to sworn members
- Works with outside medical providers ensuring that health care service provisions are in accordance with departmental standards by evaluating contracted clinical operations and procedures and recommending new policies in the area of healthcare administration
- Approves payment authorization for medical services rendered by outside providers
- Develops medical and psychological case management concepts ensuring case managers are accountable for their assigned case loads and their assessments of Limited Duty and Medical leaves of absence cases
- Ensures proper recording and reporting of Medical and Limited Duty cases for adherence to OSHA regulations
- Provides information regarding medical leaves to the Human Resources Division, relating to sworn members seeking promotion
- Complies with the Police and Fire Department’s General Orders and policies and procedures for Medical Services
- Works with other city agencies and Department units on matters pertaining to medical administration services
- Represents OPSA Medical and testifies at hearings pertaining to disability pensions, medical grievances and medical arbitrations for sworn members
- Testifies in court and at administrative proceedings as required
- Assesses travel requests for feasibility and approves travel for sworn members on Medical leave
- Participates in personnel hiring, budgeting and strategic planning
- Oversees day to day operations of medical section and manages support staff
The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
Chicago Fire Department Medical Division, 1338 S. Clinton - 60607
Saturday & Sunday
Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
THIS POSITION IS EXEMPT FROM THE CAREER SERVICE
A Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing (BSN) accredited by the National League for Nursing (NLN) or an approved foreign credential evaluation, plus three years nursing experience, of which two years are in a supervisory role relate to the responsibilities of the position.
Disclaimer - "Accredited" means any nationally or regionally accredited college, university, or law school where the applicant is enrolled in or has completed an Associates, Bachelors, Masters, or Juris Doctorate degree program.
Education & Employment Verification- Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diploma must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
You must provide your transcripts or diploma, professional license, or training certificates at time of processing, if applicable.
This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected.
Your initial evaluation will be based on information provided on the application form and documents submitted with the application. Applications must be submitted by the individual applicant. No second party applicants will be accepted.
All employees of the City of Chicago must be actual residents of the City as outlined in 2-152-050 of the City of Chicago Municipal Code. Proof of residency will be required.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation due to disability or pregnancy in order to participate in the application process, please contact the City of Chicago, Department of Human Resources, at 312-744-4976 (voice) or 312-744-5035 (TTY). Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation request.
ALL REFERENCES TO POLITICAL SPONSORSHIP OR RECOMMENDATION MUST BE OMITTED FROM ANY AND ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS SUBMITTED FOR CITY EMPLOYMENT.
The City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
City of Chicago Department of Human Resources
Lori Lightfoot, Mayor Christopher Owen, Commissioner
Please note, all positions with the City of Chicago close promptly at 11:59pm. Applications for this position will be accepted until 11:59p.m. December 7, 2021. No exceptions will be made
Nov 23, 2021, 9:41:52 AM | Closing Date (Period for Applying) - External: Jan 7, 2022, 11:59:00 PM
BU: 37 | Salary: up to $123,888/Annually Pay Basis:Yearly