Editas Medicine’s mission is to translate its genome editing technology into a novel class of human therapeutics that enable precise and corrective molecular modifications to treat the underlying cause of a broad range of diseases. Their technology, known as CRISPR (Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats), has the potential to achieve accurate, directed changes in DNA and fulfill the promise that started with the sequencing of the human genome – the potential to treat
diseases at their source by editing genes. The Company has generated substantial expertise and intellectual property that will uniquely allow it to translate the promise of CRISPR into transformative human medicines.
The Senior Vice President or Vice President of Finance is a key leader of our dynamic financial organization which is dedicated to excellence and integrity and focused on supporting Editas’ growth strategy. S/he will be responsible for financial reporting, accounting operations, financial
systems and controls, and managing people and processes related to SEC filings, auditing firms, tax preparers, and asset managers.
Specifically, the SVP or VP of Finance / Controller will:
- Lead the accounting team, ensuring high performance and fostering individual and team development.
- Responsible for supporting and enhancing a collaborative, innovative, and disciplined finance organization.
- Ensure the finance organization delivers timely financials in accordance with GAAP.
- Ensure Editas has adequate, documented internal controls for SOX compliance.
- Effectively manage tax compliance, financial operations, payroll, and
- accounts payable.
- Partner with the FP&A function through budgeting, close, and long-range planning processes.
- Contribute to partnership/acquisition activities.
- Drive continuous improvement of processes and systems in partnership with IT and operations teams.
- In addition, s/he will interact with key stakeholders including investors, executive management, Board of Directors, external auditors, investment bankers, and sell-side research analysts.
- BS / BA in Accounting or Finance with CPA required.
- Minimum of 12 years of progressive leadership in accounting and finance, including 4+ years in Public Accounting.
- Experience with life sciences is required.
- Strong financial (IT) systems experience, including both implementation and management (Oracle preferred).
- Experience with SEC compliance issues of a public company.
- Detailed knowledge of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, including Section 404, and an ability to drive the Company’s compliance with all relevant accounting and certification requirements.
- Strong technical acumen and well versed in U.S. GAAP, and SEC reporting.
- Significant experience with partnership/acquisition accounting.
- Experience in managing the financial operations and reporting of a biopharma company through drug launch, and exposure to bio/pharma revenue recognition issues strongly desired.
- Excellent business and analytical skills with a high degree of intelligence and creativity. Well-rounded technical financial skills balanced with sound business judgment. The ability to assist other leaders with non-financial backgrounds.
- A proven manager who has hired, trained, motivated, facilitated, and led an organization in a manner that has had a positive impact on results, culture, and strategic direction.
- Tireless work ethic. Must be tenacious, with the emotional intelligence to know when to push harder and when to look for alternative approaches.
- Confident and self-aware with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal. Capable of quickly establishing credibility in a scientifically-focused organization.
- Strong analytical and strategic skills. Good business judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Unquestionable integrity and personal ethics.
- Excellent organizational awareness including savvy in developing cross functional relationships.
- Hands-on approach and meticulous attention to detail.