Title: Invasive Species Strike Team Member
Position Type: Seasonal appointment for approximately 24 weeks (Late April – October). Full time (40 hours/week).
Program Description: The NYS OPRHP Strike Team on Long Island works towards the Agency’s statewide Invasive Species Management strategy. The strike team primarily performs manual invasive plant removals and surveys, as well as education, and other activities as assigned on State Park lands. The team members report to Connetquot River State Park Preserve in Oakdale and travel to other State Parks on Long Island using agency vehicles. The team will have four members, one of which will be the team leader. Work conditions include uneven terrain, heat, cold, and exposure to poison ivy, thorns, ticks, and biting insects. Appropriate protective equipment will be provided.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manual and mechanical removal of invasive species
- Invasive species survey and detection
- Field data collection and entry
- Confirming data accuracy during collection
- Writing reports weekly on team activities and progress
- Post-removal monitoring
- Park patron education
- A degree in forestry, environmental studies, ecology, natural resource management, or a relevant discipline, such as aquatic ecology, conservation biology, etc.
- Experience with plant identification and a familiarity with invasive species
- Strong interest in and commitment to environmental stewardship and team-oriented approach to solving environmental challenges.
- Ability to work, and maintain a good attitude, while performing physical work in spring, summer, and fall conditions.
- A working knowledge of GPS/GIS and ecological monitoring methods a plus.
- Backcountry orienteering and Leave No Trace experience a plus.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Pay rate is adjusted for cost of living and is $14.96/hour.
This position does not include health care benefits or paid leave.
Positions will be opened until filled. E-mail:
- completed part 1 pre-employment application
- cover letter
- three references
Part 1 Pre-employment application can be found at http://nysparks.com/employment/park-employment.aspx.
Job Type: Temporary
Salary: $15.00 to $16.00 /hour
- field work: 1 year (Preferred)
- driver's license (Required)
- Monday to Friday
- 8 hour shift