The Business Intelligence Analyst is responsible for generating and analyzing data and assist with decision making, policy development, program review and planning activities for the University.
In addition to the reporting responsibilities the incumbent is responsible for communicating with departments and other entities on campus and providing consulting for special University projects.
FLSA Exempt - This position is covered by health benefits, and is exempt, (not eligible for overtime compensation) according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Classification Salary Range
$4,693 – $8,242 monthly
Hiring Range $4,693 - $6,000 monthly
Salary Grade/Range 3
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent? No
Regular or Temporary Temp
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Pay Plan 12
Work Hours Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm. Work hours may vary depending on operations.
Enrollment Management strategies are designed to support the University’s Strategic Plan. We strive to meet our funded enrollment targets, maintain and/or increase the diversity for which the CSU is known, increase student satisfaction through improved support services, help students overcome administrative and financial barriers, increase student retention and facilitate progression to degree, help students prepare for their new careers, and facilitate timely graduation.
Entry to this classification requires general knowledge and skills in the applicable administrative and/or program field with a foundational knowledge of public administration principles, practices, and methods.
This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
1. Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience.
2. Experience analyzing business data that supports operations and/or decision-making.
3. Demonstrated ability to function at the Analyst/Programmer skill level, including ability to independently consult with users to identify and document report purpose, workflow and process issues, report output needs, and to determine report requirements and specifications, thereby developing practicable and thorough solutions using effective communication and listening skills.
4. Demonstrated ability to determine and evaluate alternative solutions and approaches.
5. Demonstrated skill to develop user-friendly solutions such as reports and dashboards data visualizations that meet business intelligence requirements.
6. Demonstrated ability to work with the users to monitor, analyze, model, create, and verify data to ensure integrity of reports and dashboards.
7. Demonstrated ability to use one or more industry methodologies and tools to effectively articulate the meaning of the data reports being created.
8. Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to develop practical, thorough, strategic solutions and approaches.
9. Ability to analyze data and make accurate projections using business mathematics and complex statistical techniques.
10. Ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound judgment.
11. Excellent interpersonal and consultative skills with the demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective internal/external working relationships, serve as a liaison for the organizational unit, and handle potentially sensitive situations.
12. Working knowledge of and ability to apply complex theories, principles, practices, and techniques applicable to Enterprise Student System (e.g. PeopleSoft Campus Solutions) enrollment reporting/data analysis and catalog/ schedule module to develop conclusions & procedures, solve problems, and make both short and long term recommendations.
13. Thorough knowledge of and ability to apply extensive expertise to complex programs, policies, procedures, best practices and outside regulations, such as those pertaining to student administration, FERPA (Family Education Right to Privacy Act), enrollment reporting, audits, and catalog/schedule.
14. Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to meet multiple and competing priorities.
15. Skill in the research, development and evaluation of policies, programs, and procedures including skill in the collection, evaluation, and interpretation of data to develop sound conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
16. Expertise in administrative survey techniques, operations and systems analysis, statistical and research methods, and the ability to interpret and evaluate results to develop sound conclusions and recommend new or revised policies.
17. Ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in written or presentation format and use consultative and facilitation skills to gain consensus.
18. Ability to train others on new skills and procedures and provide lead work direction.
19. Excellent communication skills to work effectively in a diverse environment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Ability to pass a background check.
20. Advanced Master’s degree, preferably in computer science or MIS.
21. 5 years or greater experience in a BI Analyst role
22. Experience with PeopleSoft Campus Solution modules with emphasis in Admissions, Records and Registration, Advisement, Catalog Schedule and Self Service.
23. Experience with running basic PeopleSoft Query reports using SQL.
24. Demonstrated knowledge of:
Cognos (Institutional Data Warehouse), Adobe Suite (create PDF, presentations, portfolios), College Board (fest Score and Demographics), XAP, Hobsons, National Student Clearinghouse (student tracking data and validation), Optix (data transmittal and viewing software), and Oracle Enrollment Reporting System website for the CSU Chancellor’s Office.
25. Expert level proficiency with use of Microsoft Suite including complex reporting and statistical analysis methods.
Is Background Check Required Yes
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.. California State University, Sacramento is a sponsoring agency ( ie. H-1-B Visa).
Hiring Preference Eligible on-campus applicants in California State University Employees Union (CSUEU) Bargaining Units 2, 5, 7, and 9 will be given first consideration in the recruitment.
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, an on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.