FirstLight Power Resources (FLPR) is a New England power generation and energy storage company that owns and operates a strong portfolio of hydroelectric generation, energy storage, and Class I renewable energy generation. FLPR’s New England generation fleet includes run-of-river hydro-electric facilities, pumped storage hydro-electric facilities, traditional hydro-electric facilities, and a solar farm.
Our facilities, located in Massachusetts and Connecticut, represent hundreds of millions of dollars in investment in clean renewable energy. We are committed to environmental awareness and sustainability. We maintain and operate nature trails and recreation and environmental programs at our facilities in Massachusetts and Connecticut.
Reporting to the Environmental Health and Safety Manager, the Senior Environmental Health and Safety Specialist will be responsible for providing EH&S leadership and technical support to ten CT Hydro stations. This position builds and maintains trust and confidence with the CT Hydro operation team and inspires change through comprehensive risk assessments and data analysis. Supports CT Hydro staff and management to achieve environmental health and safety compliance requirements. Works with the EH&S Manager to develop and implement EH&S initiatives for CT Hydro.
- Ensure the facilities are in compliance in applicable regulatory areas: OSHA, USEPA, CT DEEP and other regulatory agencies.
- Plans and implements procedures and programs in compliance with the local, state, and federal agencies
- Provides guidance and oversight to ensure compliance with FLPR EH&S requirements
- Prepare and submit internal and external EH&S regulatory and non-regulatory reports.
- Assist with the reporting of incidents and leads and/or coaches investigations.
- Ensures all corrective actions identified during investigations are follow-up and closed in timely manner.
- Track, analyze, and report EH&S data to CT Hydro Managers to identify trends and opportunities for improvement
- Assist in the development of the facilities EH&S objectives and employee performance evaluations with respect to EH&S
- Assist with the continual evaluation of the environment, health and safety processes within CT Hydro to ensure continuous improvement and optimization is achieved.
- Maintain confidentiality of all the information available to the position.
- Manage all regulatory documentation in accordance with good practices and regulatory agency requirements
- Assist in the development and overseeing of the annual budget and business plan related environmental, health and safety activities.
- Maintains and build proactive relations with all EH&S Vendors and contractors.
- Supervise contractors and governmental inspectors and auditors as required.
- Carries out other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Identify and conducts training needs.
- 70% of the work is performed indoors and 30% is performed outdoors. Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Capable of frequent standing, walking, balancing, sitting, climbing (ladders, stairs, ramps, catwalks, stacks and the like as required), stooping, squatting, crouching, crawling, kneeling, reaching, grasping, pushing, pulling and lifting (min. 50 lbs.).
- Required to have eyesight corrected to 20/40 to accurately read and interpret such as but not limited to instruments, gauges and manuals.
- Must be physically capable to entering and working in a confined space (crawl spaces, shafts, small enclosed areas, pipes and the like) as required.
- Must be physically capable of performing demanding work at various heights and in adverse conditions during operations, shutdowns, and in fire/emergency activities.
- Must be physically capable of wearing protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to half and full face respirators, fall protection equipment, hardhat, safety shoes, safety glasses, etc.
- Ability to pass a respirator physical and respirator fit test (if applicable)
Requirements & Skills
- Bachelor's degree in environmental health and safety, engineering or related discipline
- Ability to work effectively with managers, supervisors, and employees under stressful conditions.
- Advanced education and training preferred including OSHA, EPA, RCRA, DOT, Emergency Response Preparedness, and Defensive Driving.
- 10 -15 years of experience in Environmental Health and Safety required. Any experience in the power industry is a major plus.
- Ability to work independently to implement and develop EH&S goals and strategies
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability
- Demonstrated ability to conduct investigations and comply with all company policies and federal and state laws and regulations.
- Valid driver’s license with ability/willingness to travel locally as needed and with little notice.
- Experience working in unionized setting is a plus
- Ability/willingness to travel locally and with little notice within the CT Hydro sites
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Excellent 401(k) plan
Job Type: Full-time