Intertek, a leading provider of ATIC (Assurance, Testing, Inspection, and Certification) Services, is looking for a Fitness For Service/Mechanical Engineer to join our Industry Services team in Santa Clara, California. This position will be part-time, on an as needed basis.
Intertek’s Industry Services team provides technical solutions that help customers maximize operational efficiency, ensure asset reliability, improve quality, and minimize safety risks. Some of our many service areas include inspection, non-destructive and materials testing, technical training, engineering, surveying, QA/QC, and supplier auditing.
The Fitness For Service/Mechanical Engineer will support the Industry Services business by being the principal investigator on projects, including providing expert witness testimony for cases involving litigation. We’re looking for somebody with a minimum of 8 years of experience with engineering mechanics evaluations of pressure equipment and piping, using API 579-1/ASME FFS-1.
- Analysis of equipment histories and performance data.
- Develop equipment inspections, testing, and preventative maintenance procedures.
- Execute equipment inspections and testing procedures.
- Asset repair/replacement strategies and work package specifications.
- Provide engineering support in service-degraded equipment Fitness-for-Service (FFS) assessments.
- Complete analyses encompassing a full range of engineering mechanics sub-disciplines (stress, heat transfer, fatigue, plasticity, stability, etc.) to complete, run, repair, or replace decisions regarding the FFS status for in-service pressure equipment.
- Develop and/or deliver training courses on the subject matter and develop software tools for analysis.
- Interface with failure analysis and non-destructive examination specialists.
- Develop and manage projects and assure project goals and objectives are attained and sustained.
- Identify, monitor, and implement process improvement best practices. Lead teams to select and implement tools and methodologies to expand Intertek capabilities.
- Collaborate with Intertek Software, Inspection and Engineering groups to develop overarching value propositions for clients.
- Schedule projects and work with engineers to complete their work. Must be intimately familiar with metallurgy/materials science and forensic analysis to enable effective high-level communication between them and the project engineers necessary to deliver the projects.
- Be the principal investigator on various forensic projects, and be capable to provide expert witness testimony for cases involving litigation.
- Provide concise and clear documentation and reporting on results of investigations and analyses. This includes projects performed by the candidate themselves, and the supervision and quality control of the work and reports generated by technicians working under the candidate.
- Work with existing clients and search out new business, including writing proposals and creating project budgets.
- Aid in the business development and growth of the laboratory, and help identify new avenues and opportunities.
- Bachelor of Science Degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or related field.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience with engineering mechanics evaluations of pressure equipment and piping using API 579-1/ASME FFS-1.
- A solid understanding of and experience with the national codes and standards governing the design, repair, and alteration of pressure equipment.
- Knowledge and ability to perform and document detailed FFS analyses in accordance with the appropriate codes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to bring numerous groups together to solve complex opportunities.
- Ability to lead through influencing others.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional Engineering (P.E.) License.
- Experience with finite element analysis (FEA), programming, and CAD is desirable (VB, C++, Fortran, AutoCAD, ProEngineer/Mechanica, etc.).
- Power generation experience.
- Broad business perspective/acumen.
- Operations/plant experience.
- Technical sales experience.
A career with Intertek means joining a global network of professionals dedicated to bringing quality and safety to life. Our vision is to become the world’s most trusted partner for Quality Assurance and we offer our employees the chance to make an impact with attractive growth opportunities in this industry on a global scale.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veterans status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Intertek is a drug-free workplace. As a condition of employment, all hires are required to pass a pre-employment drug test.