Flowserve is the recognized world leader in supplying pumps, valves, seals, automation, and services to the power, oil, gas, chemical, and other industries. With more than 18,000 employees in more than 55 countries, we combine our global reach with a local presence.
The Engineering Specialist is responsible to apply research and advanced analytical methods, appropriate testing, and expert engineering or scientific experience to solve complex, technical problems, to develop or evaluate new products and technology, and to improve the reliability of existing products in production. The main focus of this job is on control valves, actuators, related accessories, and may extend to other products and technologies that could provide market growth for Flowserve. This job involves some technical support to customers, sales representatives, field service technicians, and Flowserve employees through phone conversations, in-plant visits, off-site visits, and training classes.
This section describes the principle responsibilities of the position
All the time
Stay current on OSHA safety training and observe safe work habits. Report unsafe conditions. Encourage others to follow safe work practices.
- Lead, manage, and/or participate in project teams as assigned to design, model, analyze, fabricate and test valves for customer orders, new product designs, and prototypes in a thorough and timely manner.
- Investigate engineering considerations, perform advanced analysis, and make appropriate conclusions and recommendations to meet business objectives and customer needs.
- Evaluate engineering processes and recommend or assist implementation of system improvements.
- Complete projects on time and within budget.
- Follow-up on commitments.
- Evaluate and adopt the latest in new methods, materials, and other technology and research when applicable.
- Build Flowserve’s professional credibility and reputation in the industry through innovation, publishing technical papers, or participation in industry committees or workshops.
- Review, check, and approve or certify the work of other engineers.
- Train other engineers and associates in assigned technical subjects and process procedures.
- Communicate professionally, and archive reports and data for retrieval and reference by others.
- Provide specialized, expert technical support for customers, Flowserve people, and vendors.
- Support Sales by providing engineered solutions for new valve applications and unmet needs.
- Keep abreast of new developments in assigned products and technical specialties, engineering tools, and analysis methods.
- Provide production and field support of new and redesigned products during the development and launch stages.
- Provide technical assistance to Sales and Marketing for new products.
- Provide technical support to all areas of Flowserve with regards to control valve technology.
- Investigate and resolve field problems; report results of investigation and analysis in clearly written reports.
Each individual should become familiar with the safety regulations, and take personal responsibility for following them to ensure personal safety, as well as the safety of their coworkers.
It is the responsibility of each employee, within their job responsibilities, to provide quality products, documentation, services, supervision and training, in accordance with Flowserve’s Quality Assurance Manuals, procedures, drawings, regulatory requirements, etc., aimed at achieving sustained organizational success and customer satisfaction.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently be able to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and/or reach with hands and arms. The employee should be able occasionally to lift up to fifty pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus. Some travel may be required to domestic or foreign destinations.
Although most work is done in an office environment, this job occasionally requires exposure to work near moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and/or risk of electrical shock. Typical noise levels for this job are moderate. Occasional domestic or international travel may be required.
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) degree from a four-year college or university and at least 10 years of applicable experience.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to speak, read, and write proficiently in English; proficiency in a second language is desirable. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general engineering periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, industry standards, and governmental regulations. Ability to write clear and professional technical reports, procedure manuals, publications, business correspondence, and proposals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, the general public, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, trigonometry, modern algebra, and advanced statistical theory. Ability to work with concepts such as limits, matrixes, vectors, quadratic and differential equations, proofs of theorems.
Ability to apply extensive engineering experience, scientific principles, and creativity to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables in situations where only limited or no standardization exists. Ability to identify and evaluate new ideas for product and technology development and their impact on the business. Ability to interpret and communicate a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Beneficial Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with computer software (word processor, spreadsheet, internet).
- Proficiency with numerical analysis theory and computational methods (such as finite element analysis or computational fluid dynamics).
- Design experience using 3-D CAD (SolidWorks) and working knowledge of ASME Y14.5M dimensioning and tolerancing standard. Ability to apply familiarity with manufacturing processes and product applications to optimize the safety, performance, and cost of product designs.
- Ability to use test equipment and perform common or standard tests on valves and actuators and to apply statistical theory to the design of experiments and test data.
- Ability to write clear and concise project proposals, technical reports, and training materials and to keep a laboratory notebook.
- Proficient to understand and perform complex design analyses in fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, mechanics of materials, and machine design.
- Ability to apply a working knowledge of metallurgy, materials, or corrosion science.
- Proficient with the application of codes and standards for materials, design, and construction of valves or other pressure vessels (ASME, ASTM, ISA, etc.).
Job Posting/Business Card Title:
- Participation in industry standards development or professional organization leadership.
- Ability to write, review, and/or edit technical articles for publication.
- Understanding of the many types of linear and rotary valve types and the various options of actuation packages.
- Ability to keep abreast of latest technologies and how to research and understand competitors’ valve capabilities.
- Understanding of valve pressure containing material properties, temperature and use limitations.
- Knowledge and experience in using ASME B&PV Code, Sections II, III, VIII and IX.
- Knowledge and experience using ASME 16.34, basic valve body design and quality requirements.
- Familiarity of requirements for valves used in NACE, offshore, oxygen, high temperature, cryogenic, high pressure steam, aerospace and mining applications.
- Knowledge and experience with severe service trims for highly corrosive, flashing, noisy, or cavitating services, particularly Valtek severe service trim types.
- Understanding and experience in the use of static and dynamic seals, packings and gaskets through a wide temperature range.
- Experience in designing, setting up and conducting experiments and tests on valves and actuators.
- Knowledge and experience in valve control and stability requirements as it pertains to the trim and positioner.
Mechanical R&D Engineer
Percentage of Approximate Travel Required:
Primary Posting Location:
Springville, Utah US
Job Posting Category:
United States of America
Auto req ID: