weighing up to 35 pounds in shoulder satchels or other equipment and to load or unload container of mail weighing up to 70
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Routes or cases all classes of mail in sequence of delivery along an established route. Rearranges and relabels cases as
2. Withdraws mail from the distribution case and prepares it in sequence for efficient delivery by himself or a substitute along
an established route. Prepares and separates all classes of mail to be carried by truck to relay boxes along route for
3. Handles undeliverable mail in accordance with established procedures.
4. Delivers mail along a prescribed route, on foot or by vehicle, on a regular schedule, picking up additional mail from relay
boxes as needed. Collects mail from street letter boxes and accepts letters from mailing from customers; on certain routes
may deliver mail that consists exclusively of parcel post, or the collection of mail.
5. Uses portable electronic scanner as instructed.
6. Delivers and collects charges on customs, postage-due, and c.o.d. mail matter. Delivers and obtains receipts for
registered and certain insured mail. Signs for such matter, except insured mail, at the post office before beginning route and
accounts for it upon return by payments of the amounts collected and delivery of receipts taken.
7. Deposits in the post office mail collected on the route upon returning from the route.
8. Checks, and corrects if necessary, mailing cards from advertisers bearing names and addresses of customers or former
customers on the route.
9. Furnishes customers with postal information and provides change of address cards and other postal forms as needed.
10. Reports to supervisor all unusual incidents or conditions relating to mail delivery, including condition of street letter boxes
and centralized delivery equipment.
11. Becomes proficient, when assigned to a route, in the casing of mail on other routes as assigned.
12. Works professionally with other employees in the office.
13. May as a substitute carrier, perform clerical duties and be required to pass examinations on scheme of city primary
14. In addition, may perform any of the following duties: check hotels and other establishments to ensure that mail for
residents undeliverable as addressed is not improperly held; deliver stamps or other paper supplies to contract or classified
stations and other designated delivery points; serves at carriers' delivery window; receive and register where practical, all
letters and packages of first-class matter properly offered for registration; case mail and make deliveries on other routes as
Supervisor, Customer Services, or other designated supervisor.
Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirement
to be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'
preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form
214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an
equal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/or
selection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. This
request can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodation
needed. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.