FAME Academy Science Teacher
FAME’s mission is to educate, empower and embolden African American youth to become student ambassadors of today, leaders of tomorrow and stewards of their communities by providing access to college preparatory education at participating independent schools in the Greater Pittsburgh area through the provision of need based financial assistance.
To accomplish our mission, FAME provides African American students access to college preparatory education at participating independent schools via needs based financial assistance. FAME prepares students for success through attending FAME Academy and partner schools and by providing extensive ongoing programmatic support. Our programs help FAME Scholars develop through academic, extracurricular and holistic life experiences and grow into the leaders of tomorrow. FAME's ultimate goal is to positively impact both the African American Community and society at large through the contribution of its scholars, leaders and programs.
FAME was established more than 27 years ago to provide need-based financial assistance to African American students, making a high-quality independent school education possible for students with limited financial resources. FAME also provides its scholars with tutoring, internships, academic enrichment courses, leadership and career awareness workshops and an annual college tour or leadership related excursion.
As FAME continues to prepare middle school students to fully realize their educational opportunities through the FAME Academy program, the organization is seeking experienced and enthusiastic teachers to serve as faculty for its 2020 Summer program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The FAME Academy Science Teacher will be responsible for planning and delivering a rigorous science curriculum that is comparable to that which students would see in an independent school. The instructor will lead lessons in Biology for rising 7th grade students, Chemistry for rising 8th grade students, and Physics for rising 9th grade students. The intention of focusing on these subjects is to prepare our students for placement in one of FAME’s partner schools upon entrance into high school. The responsibilities of the Academy Science teacher include but are not limited to:
Design a remote learning curriculum
Teaching, guiding and mentoring students
Modeling and teaching leadership skills
This is a contract position for the Summer of 2020 (four weeks from July 6 through July 31) that will require some preparation and orientation time during the month of June. This program will be done 100% remotely. The position could also be extended to include work on Saturdays during the school year. No Saturday work is required during the summer or holiday breaks.
Ideal Candidates Demonstrate:
- Knowledge of effective teaching strategies, and the science discipline
- Persistence and the ability to work on a project from the ground up
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and within a small team, lead projects and accept leadership
- Outcome driven, action-oriented work style
- Flexibility and the ability to handle ambiguous situations
- Understanding of diversity and the ability to work effectively with a broad cross-section of individuals
- Passion for the work of the organization and commitment to serving youth and supporting equity in education
- Ability to build meaningful relationships with families and students
- Criminal and child abuse clearances
Preferred Candidates will have:
- Three years of science teaching experience, preferably at an independent school and preferably at the Middle School level
Job Type: Contract
Salary: $25.00 to $30.00 /hour
- teaching/tutoring: 1 year (Required)
- teaching science: 1 year (Required)
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift
Company's Facebook page: