The Denver office of Sherman & Howard's Tax and Probate Practice Group is seeking a dynamic legal secretary to provide comprehensive secretarial and administrative support to a team of four, including three attorneys and one paralegal. The legal secretary should have experience with estate planning documents such as Wills, Trusts, Power of Attorney and Living Wills.
SOUND LIKE YOU? READ ON!
The job responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Prepare correspondence, contracts, other documents and/or memoranda in draft and in final form from handwritten edits, typed copy, and dictation files.
- Assist in updating/revising wills, trusts, and living will documents.
- Assist with court filings, notices, pleadings and/or other documents for attorneys as requested.
- Prepare or assist in preparation of document binders.
- Set up, maintain, and ensure that files are kept current including classifying, arranging files, filing, and storing information. Requests files from Records Department.
- Monitor, prioritize, organize, and facilitate daily workflow in order to meet project deadlines. This includes all administrative tasks including scheduling meetings, calendar management, processing check requests, expense reimbursements, etc.
- Maintain e-mails and/or documents on DMS as determined by attorney and paralegal.
- Communicate with other legal and support departments as well as regional offices as needed.
- Process the intake of new clients, including requesting conflicts checks, and preparing New Client/New Matter reports and engagement letters as requested.
- Process expense reports and check requests.
- Prepare, submit and maintain attorney(s) weekly time records.
- Work with billing specialist to process proformas, prepare invoices, and send out invoices.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible and varied legal secretarial experience.
- Familiarity with general processes, systems philosophies, structure, methods and approaches of mid-to-large sized firms.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, grammar and basic legal terminology
- Knowledge of law office practices and procedures
- Knowledge of various court electronic filing procedures for applicable practice areas
- Knowledge of court rules for state and federal courts for applicable practice areas
- Skill in the use of software systems such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Elite, DMS, Workshare Compare, and Adobe
- Skill in typing and transcribing accurately at a rate of 70 + words per minute
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks, while working effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish good rapport with attorneys, clients, and other employees
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to proofread a variety of documents with solid attention to detail
WHAT REALLY GETS US EXCITED!
- Your communication is clear and direct. You can actively listen to others and understand their needs.
- You dive in and take initiative without being asked.
- You have good judgment and a thoughtful approach. You are sensitive to the challenges, goals and needs of all stakeholders.
- You are impeccable with your work and consistent with your follow through.
- You know “how to get things done.”
- You understand the constraints other people face and how to balance the needs of everyone involved.
- You are attentive to details and keep track of all the moving parts.
Job Type: Full-time
- legal secretary: 5 years (Required)