Empower Every New Yorker — Without Exception — to Live the Healthiest Life Possible
Come join the largest public hospital system in the nation! Every day, we work together to make an extraordinary difference in the health and well-being of each individual we serve without exception. Join our team and help us create a positive patient experience.
NYC Health + Hospitals provides essential inpatient, outpatient, and home-based services to more than one million New Yorkers every year in more than 70 locations across the city’s five boroughs.
Carter is a leading, comprehensive specialty care hospital and nursing facility dedicated to providing quality medical, sub-acute, rehabilitative and long-term specialty services. We are committed to serving the New York City and surrounding communities while setting the example as a national leader in long-term and subacute care with centers of excellence in areas such as: geriatrics, rehabilitation and ventilator dependence.
Analyze and abstract clinical documentation for ICD-10CM and PCS coding in a
Long- term Care Acute Hospital (LTACH)
Participate in quality improvement activities and perform other duties of the department
Prepare periodic reports, statistical abstracts and other records and summaries.
May perform comparative studies for data quality.
Analyze reports to improve medical record data quality and reliability.
Assist in the performance of functions relating to the filing, retrieval, ROI, securing of medical records identified in litigation proceedings in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Responsible for review of inpatient medical records and determine the correct principal and secondary diagnoses and procedures
- Assign the appropriate ICD-10-CM and PCS codes to selected diagnosis, conditions and procedures and entering the same into computer using encoder software, sequencing codes and validating other/specific data elements to assign correct DRG assignments to optimize hospital reimbursement and SOl.
- Designate appropriate present on admission indicator status on all diagnoses coded.
- Refer and discuss problematic cases to DRG Validators or manager for input, prior to finalizing case to ensure accuracy.
- Discuss cases in question with appropriate members of the medical staff as needed.
- Assist in mandatory reporting such as cancer register etc.,
- Remain abreast of all coding and DRG changes and updates.
- Participate in quality improvement activities and perform other duties of the department
1. High School diploma or its educational equivalent; and
2. Completion of a coding, medical record technology or health information technology
program approved by the American Health Information Management Association
3. Possession of a valid certificate as a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) from the
American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA); or
4. Two (2) years of satisfactory experience in coding and abstracting medical records in a
recognized hospital or health care organization.
How To Apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please apply online by clicking the "Apply Now" button or go to employment.nychhc.org
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $57,896.00 per year
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Discount
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
- Medical Coding: 2 years (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)