At National Louis University we offer our employees an innovative environment to work together and inspire the ideas that will make an impact. As our external environment changes, our employees are provided the opportunities and tools needed to grow both personally and professionally to remain successful. NLU employees and dependents are offered a wide range of benefits, including but not limited to, Health Insurance benefits, Retirement benefits, Paid Time Off and Educational Benefits.
Campus Chicago - 122 S. Michigan Ave.
If other, please specify
We have positions open at both our Wheeling and Chicago Campuses
Position Status Part Time
If part time, hours per week 12-15 hours per week
What you will do:
National Louis University has taken on a new approach to undergraduate education and has set the ambitious goal of becoming a local and national leader in closing the achievement gap in bachelor’s degree attainment. Through an innovative, affordable, rigorous, flexible, and supportive approach to undergraduate education, NLU seeks to help thousands of students – many of whom face significant barriers to completing college – get to and through college and move on to successful careers and fulfilling lives. This includes adult transfer undergraduate students as well as first-time freshmen students enrolled in Pathways at NLU which is growing rapidly and demonstrating exemplary student retention rates.
The Undergraduate Mathematics Specialist will collaborate with program staff and tutor students in basic math skills to increase the effectiveness of the Pathways Program instructional model.
The primary focus of the Math Specialist is to work with diverse undergraduate students at the sophomore level to increase mathematical and analytical thinking competencies and outcomes related to their core math courses. This program is highly data-driven, so a focus on evaluating learning and predictive analytics related to student success is central.
Specialists must collaborate on a regular basis with the support team that surrounds each student. This includes time assisting in the classroom, as well as weekly team meetings. Specialists can expect to work on campus Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., with additional time on Mondays and Wednesdays for meetings and individual tutoring appointments.
Additionally, the candidate must be passionate about supporting first generation and underrepresented college students toward successful degree completion and entry into the workforce.
Our mission is to provide a rigorous, affordable college education in a supportive environment that respects diversity to help all students meet and surpass their personal, academic, and career goals.
- Student-Focused: Make decisions based on what is best for students with the belief that when all students have access to resources and support, they are empowered to achieve success.
- Expect Excellence: Hold high expectations for our students and for the faculty and staff who serve them, and hold ourselves accountable for achieving excellence.
- Personalized Support: Take a holistic approach to providing individualized support that encourages students to realize their full potential in college and beyond.
- Data-Driven, Collaborative Environment: Work together as a unified team, utilizing real-time data and technology to adapt to student needs.
- Continuous Improvement and Innovation: Remain agile and open to changes and new ideas-incorporating data as well as student, faculty, and administration voice-to ensure that we are continuously learning, improving, and innovating in all aspects of the student experience. Be positively restless and relentless!
- Collaborate with a diverse team of program instructors and Success Coaches to develop an effective academic support strategy for students; will follow the Pathways’ holistic approach to student learning by considering how non-academic backgrounds and issues affect each student.
- Tutor students in math in 1-on-1 settings and small-group settings. Evaluate and address individual student ability and potential regarding their math skills and then work with that student to improve those skills. Will design and deliver personalized academic assistance for each student to maximize each student’s academic potential and achieve college and career success.
- Communicates professionally with students and colleagues, develops healthy and professional partnerships with colleagues, and shares a passion for postsecondary success for diverse learners.
- Participates as active member of Pathways Team to design and implement excellent student-centered support. Contributes to weekly meetings with coaches and assessors to report student growth and obstacles to success, and to design plan to deliver excellent, personalized academic support for individual students.
- Assists students in weekly Lab classes by working with students 1-on-1 and in small groups to enhance students’ math skills through just-in-time review of foundational skills and applied practice exercises, as well as by assisting them with math assignments for their current coursework. Also assists students as they develop problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Contributes to a learning culture by observing classes and partnering with Instructors to provide targeted tutoring. Works with instructors during select instructional times to further assist student growth.
- Identifies gaps between student needs and existing resources and services; works with team to generate creative and effective resolutions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Agility and adaptability to changing classroom dynamics
- Strong mathematics skills
- Ability to work with a highly diverse faculty and student body
EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics related field required
- Experience using a learning management system
- Prior Teaching or Tutoring experience is preferred
- Teaching to students of diverse backgrounds and abilities preferred
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number STA668
Number of Vacancies
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions Summary