Reinhardt University is seeking a Simulation Specialist to add to our staff. This position will provide support for all simulation operations, including preparation, maintenance and coordination of repair of computerized high fidelity simulators, task trainers and related multimedia peripherals. The specialist will also serve as simulator operator by programming, testing and running scenarios with faculty, assuring that the facility and equipment are set up for teaching sessions in the simulation lab as well as the skills and health assessment labs. Inventory management of the labs, IT knowledge, clinical knowledge, electronic knowledge, moulage skills, AV experience, clerical skills as well as clinical equipment knowledge are components of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as simulator operator by programming, testing and running scenarios with faculty, ensuring that the facility and equipment are set up for teaching sessions.
- Participate in event and scenario planning meetings to provide technical expertise on capabilities and limitations of equipment and facilities to meet course needs.
- Understand the use and operation of different simulator technologies ranging from anatomic models and task trainers to screen-based simulations to full body patient simulators and virtual reality surgical simulators.
- Develop technical proficiency with all aspects of the operation, maintenance, support, troubleshooting, repair and replacement needs for all equipment.
- Acquire digital audiovisual hardware and software systems to record simulated sessions with subsequent editing and transfer into an archival format for analysis.
- Provide technical support for computer based multimedia systems and their components, including operation of digital cameras, video cameras, audio/video mixer, digital/analog converter, monitors, LCD projectors, and other equipment.
- Support the use of digital media and web stream creation for educational and professional distribution, distribute content and back up data, and provide advanced troubleshooting.
- Maintain proficiency in existing and emerging technologies, including basic theory, design and implementation.
- Serve as primary contact with equipment manufacturers regarding equipment trouble shooting and system problems; maintain record of repairs.
- Conduct routine equipment maintenance, inventory updates and equipment purchases.
- Install software and hardware upgrades and maintain functionality of manikin components as directed by manufacturer support.
- Supervise preventative maintenance of equipment according to manufacturer’s recommendations. Monitor scheduled maintenance to ensure that equipment is operational. Work with manufacturers or vendors to correct equipment deficiencies and maintain system in order to minimize down time.
- Create innovative ideas, evaluate new equipment, and identify opportunities for technology improvements and integration into healthcare education.
- Instruct faculty and other Simulation Center staff in the operational aspects of simulations. Lead technology education for staff, faculty, and Simulation Program learners.
- Provide communication and feedback to the Simulation faculty and Dean on facility, technology, equipment, operational, and other needs identified for overall maintenance and program functioning.
- Assist with other special projects or initiatives as needed.
- Oversee and implement the technology for clinical skills teaching and research in the Simulation Center.
- Collect data to support research and commercial projects or community projects as appropriate.
- Communicate in a positive, professional manner with faculty instructors, students, and clients of the Simulation Center.
- Participate in technical training as necessary; attend conferences to stay current with simulations technology.
- Engage in available opportunities to share information and best practices externally (e.g., as presenter or panelist at industry conference and events), develop and maintain relationships with simulation specialists engage in collaborative problem solving and innovation.
- Support the short-, intermediate-, and long-term teaching, research and operational goals of the program.
- Identify and participate in coordination of facility and operational improvement.
- Conduct facility tours; participate in events providing exposure and insight to the program.
- Actively participate in strategic action plan and program improvement initiatives.
- Assist with or lead other special projects or initiatives as needed.
- Participate in faculty development of the Simulation Center.
- Commitment to academic challenge in an environment of individual care that is consistent with Reinhardt University’s
- Collegiality, a strong work ethic, honesty, goodwill and a sense of humor.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to effectively interact on a professional level
- Knowledge of computer systems and software applications relevant to simulator functions
- Proficiency in MS software applications including word, excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to express technical information clearly and simply to non-technical individuals
- Ability to assess, troubleshoot and address equipment failures in a timely fashion
- Ability to work well under pressure, set priorities and make critical decisions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work with the internal and external individuals from different disciplines and different levels of training.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated and require little to no supervision with the ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to make judgements in demanding situations.
- Ability to react to frequents changes in duties and volume of work
- Ability to listen empathetically
- Ability to logically organize details
- Comfortable accepting responsibility for medium to large scale projects, involving multiple resources and spanning many months from start to finish
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent activities
- BSN and Unencumbered RN licensure
- 2-3 years’ experience in Nursing
- Experience in patient simulation services, technologies and applications
- Experience in audio/video equipment and software for recording, duplication, mixing and editing is helpful
- Must be able to meet Clinical Grid requirements
Job Type: Full-time