Provides outstanding customer service to every customer, including sales and shopper support. Maintains accountability for personal cash till. Properly maintains appearance of the retail facility, including organization, cleanliness, and stock rotation. Supports the mission of Palmetto Goodwill and other related services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Greets customers promptly when they enter the store and whenever they approach (i.e. within five feet of employee).
- Answers telephone promptly and in a professional manner.
- Uses strong communication skills; uses intercom system on a regular and routine basis.
- Hangs clothing items properly on sales floor; places hard-goods on gondola shelving.
- Straightens and picks up sales floor and dressing rooms as necessary.
- Cleans and stocks restrooms as necessary.
- Rotates product as dictated by the respective rotation charts.
- Uses suggestive selling practices to encourage customers to purchase similar items; encourages customers to “Round Up” their purchases.
- Assists customers as needed with merchandise.
- Rings up customer transactions with accuracy and speed.
- Takes proper steps and follows established procedures to prevent counterfeit currency from being accepted.
- Positively reinforces customer purchases.
- Applies cash control measures to ensure individual till is balanced at the end of shift.
- Reports known or suspected security and/or theft problems to a member of store management, appropriate Senior or District Manager, and/or Asset Protection department.
- Complies with all agency policies, procedures, and safety standards throughout all work areas; maintains same to meet CARF, Department of Labor, and other regulatory standards.
- Maintains safety standards in the store and reports any exceptions to store management.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by a member of store management.
Must be able to:
- Multi-task effectively; be able to adjust to frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events; be flexible and/or adaptable as work requirements change.
- Be a self-starter; work efficiently with minimal supervision after work instructions have been provided.
- Thrive in a dynamic, fast-moving environment.
- Work effectively in a team-based environment; Interact professionally with customers and a highly diverse employee base on a regular and routine basis.
- Perform basic mathematical calculations, including addition and subtraction; accurately counts cash in in coin and bill form.
- Work a flexible schedule, including weekends, and have reliable transportation to and from work be able to travel to multiple site locations across business region.
- Understand English; comprehend instructions provided in verbal and written form.
- Proven ability to read and comprehend cashier and cash handling instructions and directions; ability to operate a cash register and credit card machine effectively and efficiently.
- Basic computer skills including use of various retail related systems (cash register, intercom, etc.), error identification, understanding of basic programs (Microsoft Word), etc.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Multi-cultural sensitivity; the ability to demonstrate a sensitivity and awareness of diversities in people and cultures.
Education and Experience
Completion of any level of primary or secondary education, regardless of diploma/degree. Previous experience working in a retail environment preferred.
While performing the essential duties and responsibilities of this job, the employee is:
- Regularly required to: stand; walk; bend; stoop; kneel; crouch; talk and/or hear; use close, distance and peripheral vision; use depth perception and the ability to adjust focus; use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move over 50 pounds.
- Rarely required to sit.
Work is usually performed in an indoor retail setting. The employee may occasionally be exposed to outside weather conditions (extreme cold or heat). The employee may frequently be exposed to dust and odors. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.