Brooklyn, New York
We are a large non-profit organization specializing in the treatment and recovery of abuse/neglect children. If you've ever wanted to make a difference, this is it!
Work a few days remotely from home!!
EDUCATION, LICENSURE, AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's degree in social work, education, or in a related field.
- Minimum of 2+ years of work experience, preferably in child welfare or with the NYC Department of Education.
- Knowledge and training in working with children, adolescents, family systems and educational systems.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with children, families, staff and educational professionals using good interpersonal skills and professional expertise.
- Very good organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to accommodate a flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Understanding and willingness to commit to the agency's mission, core values and Sanctuary commitments
BRIEF SUMMARY OF POSITION:
- Provide educational assistance and support for children/youth from early education/intervention to the start of the high school years who are placed in the family foster care program.
- Assist case planners and parents with the referral process to the Committee of Special Education.
- Provide individualized assistance with the high school selection to all 8th grade students and their families (and when possible to all 5th grade students with the middle school process).
- Provide educational advocacy and ensure that students are receiving the needs supports and services.
- Serve as agency liaison to case planners, families, the NYC Department of Education, ACS Education Committee, Advocates for Children, FEGS, schools and to other outside organizations with whom the agency collaborates in order to meet the needs and to promote the educational best interests of children in care.
- Utilize Department of Education data to track, report, and monitor the educational status of children with casework teams, parents and resource parents in order to support best educational practices and planning.
- Promote educational achievement by ensuring that each child is placed in the proper educational setting, i.e. early intervention, early education, regular education, special education, and gifted and specialized educational programs.
- Coordinate referrals for free to low-cost tutoring services for children in need in their communities and for private, and in-home tutoring services where such services are not available.
- Monitor provision of in-home tutoring services and track progress and outcomes of student participants with students, families and the tutoring company.
- Complete administrative responsibilities, including timely entry of educational information in CONNECTIONS, the Online Platform, submission of billing and other monthly program reports.
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor or administrator.
Are you organized? Do you have strong computer skills? Are you flexible to take on new responsibilities as they arise? Can you work independently and as part of a team?
IF THIS SOUNDS LIKE YOU, THEN APPLY TODAY!
Join our Team!
ercyFirst offers competitive compensation, plus great benefits to our valued employees, including:
- A comprehensive benefits package including medical insurance, retirement plan, life insurance and more
- Paid time off including holidays, vacation, personal and sick days
- Free employee assistance program through National EAP
- Trainings to support professional and personal development
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations