In order for your application to be considered, please apply by following the directions below:
- Go to www.smud.org/studentjobs
- Click on Search Student Jobs Now
- Click on Search Openings
- Click on Search
- Click on the Req ID of the internship that you want to apply for.
**YOU MUST APPLY ON THE SMUD WEBSITE ABOVE IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE POSITION.**
SMUD’s Spring College Internship Program provides interns with an opportunity to contribute their skills and knowledge to SMUD while gaining valuable work experience. Workshops and activities will also be a part of the program where interns will have the opportunity to be immersed in SMUD’s culture and learn leadership skills as well as professional skills. The Spring College Internship Program will be 14-weeks long from Monday, February 4, 2019 – Friday, May 10, 2019.
The Research & Development (R&D) Engineering Intern will be working with the Electric Transportation and Energy Storage Research & Development programs. He/She will be assisting with the project design and project management, usage analytics, and product procurement requirements development for charging infrastructure and grid scale storage projects. The tasks of the R&D Engineering Intern will include but won't be limited to:
- Assisting in the development of project scope and project management documentation
- Overseeing or conducting implementation of project tasks and project reporting
- Assisting in the development of technical requirements for systems and tools
- Analyzing load and usage data
- Reporting on analytics and project processThe R&D Engineering Intern will gain hands-on experience with electric vehicle infrastructure, battery storage procurement planning, distribution planning collaboration, project planning, and implementation for research and development projects.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Work includes but is not limited to the following: (Note: While in general all functions/duties are essential, individual positions within this class may not require all.) This list is not intended to be complete or exhaustive. Under staff direction:
- Performs tasks of an analytical or research nature for suitable projects or ongoing assignments which call for specific acquired academic skills and knowledge in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math.
- May locate sources of information; collect and organize data.
- Makes computations and analyzes data for degree of confidence and for alternative courses of action.
- May develop computer programs relating to assignments and may code material for established programs.
- May develop written, graphical and/or oral reports.
- May assist staff analysts and technical personnel by performing elements of their work under close supervision.
Registration as a full-time student (minimum of 12 units) at an accredited college or university in a declared curriculum with a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) emphasis that will provide the specific skills and knowledge that will contribute to available work assignments.
- Be majoring in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- Have the ability to conduct data analysis, conduct field visits of EV or storage sites, and perform basic project management tasks under the supervision of a SMUD Project Manager of Engineer.
Must possess and maintain a valid California Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record (not more than two moving violations in the last two years).
Applicants must be able to perform the essential job functions with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Additional Posting Info for Candidate
- Application Deadline: The application period starts on Monday, October 8, 2018. It is guaranteed that the online system will accept applications until Friday, October 26th at 3 PM. It is highly encouraged that you submit your application well before the due date and time mentioned to make sure that it is submitted successfully.
- Official SMUD Title: STEM Student Assistant
- To have a student position at SMUD, you must not have any relatives employed at SMUD.
- You must have at least a 2.0 GPA.
- Students can work up to 20 hours while school is in session, up to 130 hours per month during school breaks, and up to 960 hours per year. A year is defined as July 1st to June 30th.
Job Type: Internship
Salary: $18.93 to $23.06 /hour