At Jackson Hewitt, we are working hard for the hardest working and we are on a mission to completely change the way our customers engage with their personal finances. Jackson Hewitt combines the fun, fast-paced culture of a startup with the scale and reputation of one of the nation’s largest retailers (over 6,000 locations).
We have a passion for our employees and our customers. We recognize and appreciate that our team members are our single greatest competitive advantage. Being an industry leader requires a consistent focus on quality, innovation, performance and results.
The Associate General Counsel – Labor & Employment will be responsible for reviewing and drafting legal agreements, analyzing proposed and existing legislation, preparing and reviewing company policies, training and monitoring for legal compliance, and advising management on legal matters to guard the organization against legal liability.
This position is ideal for someone who is ambitious, enjoys problem-solving and operates effectively, whether working independently or in collaborative settings. The candidate should be excited to work among a fun team with diverse experience and skills.
Successful candidates will be afforded opportunities for advancement within the organization and earn highly competitive compensation that reflects Jackson Hewitt’s commitment to developing talent.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Key responsibilities of the position are listed below:
- Draft and review employment-related agreements.
- Partner with the Human Resources team and provide advice on a wide variety of employment and labor matters including wage and hour compliance, disability accommodations, recruiting/hiring, benefits, discipline, involuntary terminations, leaves of absence, training programs, investigations, managing within the law, and risk assessments.
- Work collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders and departments throughout Jackson Hewitt to develop and maintain strong working relationships within Legal, HR, Finance, IT, Internal Audit, Franchise and Company-Owned Operations and other functional groups.
- Engage with and manage external employment counsel to effectively resolve threatened or outstanding employment-related litigation matters and establish best practices for prevention of such matters.
- Identify issues and provide helpful risk-rated guidance to the business is a critical part of this role. The Associate General Counsel will act as the primary point-of-contact for the legal needs of the Human Resources Department.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of employment-related developments in the law and proactively promote compliance and work with the organization to mitigate risks.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree; Juris Doctor from a nationally recognized and ABA accredited law school. Florida bar admission or bar admission of another State and become certified as an Authorized House Counsel in accordance with the Rules of the Florida Bar.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience practicing law, with a minimum 5 years focusing on employment law. A combination of both law firm and in-house experience is a strong plus but not a requirement.
- Strong working knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations in the areas of civil rights and discrimination, wage and hour, benefits, disability and medical leave, wrongful discharge, and other applicable laws. Direct experience navigating compliance audits and representing parties in federal and state administrative matters are strong preferences but not requirements.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with an ability to deliver clear and concise recommendations to the General Counsel and key Human Resources and other business leaders.
- Strong organizational, project management, and problem solving skills; prioritization and the ability to multi-task, including the ability to pivot in order to meet changed business priorities and expectations, are each important skills for this position.
- The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated and self-directed individual with strong judgment, and someone who is always thinking about better ways of doing things.
- Experience working within a franchise or other business with multi-unit operations is a strong plus but not a requirement. Experience working with retail operations utilizing seasonal employees is also a strong plus.
- Is a team player with high integrity and reliability
- Has comfort with written and oral communication across a diverse range of stakeholders
- Demonstrates strong listening skills and actively participates in group settings
- Identifies and empathizes with team member needs and highly values the time of her/himself and others
- Has intellectual curiosity: thinks beyond the question asked and anticipates the next level analysis
- Can quickly recognize the “so what” of a problem
- Thrives in fast-moving environments (i.e., multi-tasks, stays organized, communicates frequently)
- Attempts to solve problems, overcome obstacles, and move initiatives forward, independently as much as possible
- Demonstrates quantitative, problem-solving, and analytical mindset
- Possesses excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Shows a balanced combination of technical and interpersonal skills
We appreciate your interest in Jackson Hewitt Tax Service. Jackson Hewitt Tax Service is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age (40 and over), disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Jackson Hewitt Tax Service also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. It is also Jackson Hewitt Tax Service’s policy to comply with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.
Pay Type Salary
Employment Indicator Corporate