The Occupational Therapist is responsible for the assessment of referred patients, ranging in age from 18 years to geriatric who are experiencing rehabilitation conditions or medical surgical conditions requiring rehabilitation and/or wound care needs. Responsible to provide direct patient care, to assess functioning in activities of everyday living and are essential for independent living. To establish and administer a treatment program with specific goals determined according to the patient’s capacity and tolerance under the direction of a Physician. Educates patients and families in appropriate occupational therapy methods.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
May include, but is not limited to the following:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each key function satisfactorily based on overall skills categories; assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation and teaching/coaching. Each category will be assessed on performance measurements of appropriateness, efficiency, effectiveness and timeliness. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key functions.
Job FunctionApproximate percentage of Time
Complete Initial and regular patient assessment and reassessment. Perform screening and assessment in a timely manner. Document outcomes and interpretation of data. Communicate interpretation to Physician and interdisciplinary team. Initiate plan of care with expected outcomes. 20%
Plan, coordinate, and implement treatment plan as prescribed by physician. Administers appropriate physical agent; provide training, education, and fittings with patient and family members; report both oral and written regarding patient progress and discharge.20%
Evaluate care interventions and their effect on outcomes, document progress and variances to expected outcomes. Participate in plan of care of patient in collaboration with interdisciplinary team and physician. Provide ongoing patient/family education. Participates in monitoring customer perceptual outcomes and addresses as appropriate.20%
Perform regular checks on patients and equipment. Maintain clean and safe equipment and environment.10%
Participate in performance improvement activities for department and hospital wide programs. Collect and analyze data. Maintain quality control of all rehab equipment. 10%
Assist with daily assignments to Occupational Therapy Assistants and Rehabilitation Techs. 15%
Remain current with literature related to departments for which responsible and maintain an updated methodology, tools, manuals and criteria as necessary and appropriate. Attends all required hospital meetings.5%
- Supports employee and patient education to enhance knowledge, skills, and necessary behaviors to achieve quality outcome.
- Demonstrates and understands the importance of and respect for the rights, dignity, and individuality of each patient in all interactions.
- Demonstrates respect for co-workers and responds to needs of patients by complying with hospital policies.
- Ability to carry out essential functions of this position (with or without reasonable accommodation).
- Promote the philosophy, mission and objectives of the Company within and to customers outside the hospital.
- Demonstrates satisfactory level of interpersonal skills to interact with facility and medical staff and Administration, patients, families, customers, vendors and government agencies.· Assure participation in relevant in-service training sessions, facility meetings and continuing educational opportunities appropriate to responsibilities.
- Demonstrates honesty and integrity at all times in care and use of patient and hospital property.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks/responsibilities and compete duties within allotted time.
- Appropriately accesses the resources of the company’s corporate offices for consultation and program development support. Seeks out external resources through conferences, workshops, etc. as necessary. Shares professional knowledge with staff, directors, managers and hospital personnel.
- Participate in hospital wide patient safety program identifying risks to patient safety and reducing healthcare errors.
- Comply with HIPAA regulatory requirements.· Perform other duties as assigned
Graduate of a school for Occupational Therapy. Master’s Degree required.
Current license for Occupational Therapist in state of practice. Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Heart Association. Must maintain license and certification throughout employment.
Must be able to work a rotating weekend schedule. Previous in-patient rehab facility and supervision of C.O.T.A. experience preferred. Ability to project a professional image. Knowledge of regulatory standards and compliance requirements. Knowledge and experience in the needs of patients ranging in age from 18 to geriatric. Working knowledge and ability to apply professional standards of practice in job situations. Strong organizational and analytical skills; excellent writing and speaking skills. Working knowledge of personal computer and software applications used in job functions (Word processing, graphics, databases, spreadsheets, etc.)
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant
Participates in or conducts company-wide sponsored training to safeguard against improper use and disclosure of patient’s protected health information. Monitors and ensures compliance with company policies, procedures, state and federal regulations and Accreditation Standards.
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean and wears appropriate identification while on duty.
- Adheres to all smoking or tobacco regulations established by corporate building owners, state, or federal laws.
- Completes annual health, safety, and education requirements. Maintains professional growth and development.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient and/or employee information to assure patient and/or employee rights are protected.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served.
- Reports to work on time as scheduled; adheres to policies regarding notification of absence.
- Attends all mandatory in-services and staff meetings.· Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics, and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
- Maintains current licensure/certification for position, if applicable.
- Consistently demonstrates superior customer service skills to patients, physicians, visitors, employees, and any other individuals with whom they may come in contact.
- Consistently follows departmental and hospital Health, Safety, Security, Hazardous Materials policies and procedures.
- HIPAA: Conduct job responsibilities in accordance with HIPAA privacy laws, follow hospital policy in provision of patient confidentiality. Able to identify patient confidentiality issues and reports to proper hospital personnel immediately.
- Compliance: Conducts job responsibilities in accordance with standards set forth in Code of Conduct, policy and procedures, applicable federal and state laws, and applicable standards.
Professionalism –To always maintain the highest standard and regard for others. Keep skills, competencies and required licensures/certifications current; displays mastery over attitude and behavior and pride in appearance. Consistently performs duties to the best of abilities.
Exceptional Care—Go above and beyond expectations by providing exceptional care to WOW our customers—patients, family, physicians, and each other.
Respect – Treating others as they would like to be treated; valuing others. Acknowledges the worth of others through professional greetings, proper telephone etiquette, patience, and common courtesy.
Fun - Having fun and celebrating small successes in our journey to achieve big. Always demonstrates a positive attitude toward work and devotion to our passion and task at hand.
Teamwork –To function as a unit, with common goals, recognizing we can achieve far more as a team than as individuals. Cooperates with co-workers while performing duties leading to everyone being able to achieve success and giving recognition where it is due
.Integrity – To always be honest and trustworthy in all our relationships. Demonstrates adherence to a strict moral or ethical code in performance of duties by always seeking to do the right thing.
Accountability - Responsibility of our actions that influence the lives of our customers and fellow workers. Takes ownership of all aspects of duties shown through reliable, timely performance and responsibility.
Responsibility – Maintains accountability by doing what is expected or beyond; assuring the appropriate tasks and project items are completed. Takes ownership of all aspects of duties shown through reliable, timely performance and accountability.
- Ability to function independently in all aspects, including project identification, evaluation, contract negotiations, and coordination with management and internal departments.
- Ability to represent the company in a confident, persuasive and positive manner.
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under stress and respond quickly in emergency situations.· In-depth knowledge of operational, clinical and referral development systems.
- Ability to work effecitively within a complex matrix organization.