BP is looking for talented, innovative and driven individuals to join our team. We support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. BP is committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy and others.
The Area Projects Manager is accountable for the safe, efficient and quality delivery of a diverse portfolio of capital and expense projects. The portfolio managed by this role typically consist of 50+ plus active proejcts in various stages) ranging in size from a $500 thousand to $30-40 million. The portfolio managed by this role has an annual total installed cost of approxmately $100 million. This role is a member of the Whiting Refinery Projects Leadership team.
The Area Proejcts Manager leads and manages a team of Project Managers to successfully deliver an assigned project portfolio that supports the needs of the Whitng Refiniery. The portfolio cosists of projects that improve personal and process safty, support regulatory compliance, improve reliability, renew infrastructure and improve the commercial performance of the business. The Area Projects team is accountable for all phases of the project from front end development through design, construction, commssioning and start-up.
Other unique responsibilities of this role includes:
- Serves as the “single point of interface” between Area Projects & TAR leadership to assure effective integration of proejcts into TAR events.
- Accountable for the site Small Project Team (SPT), which is focused on efficient development & delivery of a $15-20MM annual portfolio of proejcts typically less than $1m..
- Serves as Project Manager leading our semi-annual Whiting IPA Site Benchmarking effort
- Leads resource planning efforts for the Projects organiztion
Essential functions & key accountabilities for this role includes, but is not limited to:
- Lead and drive safety culture and performance. Assures site policies and practices are understood and adhered to.
- Be a visible HSSE leader in the field
- Provide effective owner oversight for all project related activity to assure safe, efficient and quality installations.
- Owns project work process and practices . Assures necessary work processes are in place, well understood and effective.
- Leads and manages a team of project management professionals
- Build project management capability ( current and future)
- Assure the right Project team resources are in place and are aligned with project and business objectives.
- Lead resource planning and forecasting for projects and portfolio.
- Develop effective and efficient project execution plans and contracting strategies for projects.
- Assure effective project controls are in place
- Identifies and drives productivity/effieciency improvements.
- Assure competitive targets are in place and apprpopriate performance measurement tracking and controls are in place.
- Establish and maintain constructive relationships with contractor partners.
- Execute projects consistent with BP expectations/processes
- Achieve competitive cost and schedule targets
- Developmt and build of project management capability
- Reinforce and practice BP values and behaviors
- Work across the refinery functions to ensure the project portfolio is properly prioritized and achievable
- Utilize fit for purpose project processes and continuously improve based on project outcomes and learnings
- Lead efforts to strengthen relationships between the Projects team, the TAR team, Operations, Technical and others in the refinery.
- Lead continuous improvement efforts to further improve competitive position (IPA Site Benchmarking)
Essential experience and job requirements
- 5+ years managing multiple projects in a petroleum/chemical facility, 7-10 years experience preferred
- Experience leading a team of project professionals preferred
- 5+ years leadership experience in Refinery operations/maintenance/engineering, 7-10 years experience preferred
- BPWay Graduate strongly preferred.
Other Requirements (e.g. Travel, Location)
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
Desirable criteria & qualifications
Is this a part time position?
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
The Downstream segment has global manufacturing and marketing operations. It is the product and service-led arm of BP, made up of three businesses (Fuels, Lubricants, and Petrochemicals).
We aim to run safe and reliable operations across all our businesses, supported by leading brands and technologies, to deliver high-quality products and services that meet our customers’ needs.
Disciplined execution of our strategy is helping improve our underlying performance, capture opportunities for further growth, generate attractive returns and create a more resilient business that is better able to withstand a range of market conditions; and create opportunities for future growth.
The 4,400 employees of BP’s Fuels, North America business refine, store, move, deliver and market a wide range of distinctive and high-quality energy products that drive economic growth. Our U.S. refineries in Indiana, Ohio and Washington have a net daily processing capacity of 746,000 barrels. We manage more than 3,200 miles of pipeline and, through our interest in BP Midstream Partners LP, have an ownership stake in nearly 1,500 additional miles.
We also have a growing network of retail stations that provide fuels and convenience products to consumers at around 7,100 BP- and ARCO-branded sites, and close to 1,000 ampm convenience stores in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Nevada.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.