This position is open to UW Medicine CCR 1 and CCR 3 Staff Only
The mission of UW Medicine is to improve the health of the public by advancing medical knowledge, providing outstanding primary and specialty care to the people of the region, and preparing tomorrow’s physicians, scientists and other health professionals. UW Medicine owns or operates Harborview Medical Center, Northwest Hospital & Medical Center, Valley Medical Center, UW Medical Center, a network of UW Medicine Neighborhood Clinics that provide primary care, UW Physicians, UW School of Medicine, Airlift Northwest, and other owned, operated or affiliated entities as appropriate.
The University of Washington is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty. As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please view this page.
The UW Medicine Contact Center is a fast paced environment where customer service, patient care and accuracy are the highest priorities at all times. The Contact Center has a FULL-TIME CONTACT CENTER REPRESENTATIVE 2 position (Day, Evening shifts). The Contact Representative 2 (CCR 2) is the first point of contact for new and returning patient inbound and outbound calls within the UW Medicine health system.
The CCR 2 will answer patient questions, direct patients within the UW Medicine system, respond to scheduling and messaging needs, and provide a consistent customer experience that represents the UW Medicine brand. Under general supervision, conducts outbound communication, both verbal and written, with UW Medicine patients, UW Medicine staff, and other members of the public by telephone, electronic mail, and through the patient portal web application to provide appointment scheduling assistance to patients or their care providers. Provides patient support services in accordance with pre-existing, highly detailed, standard operating procedures. May make routine edits or updates to existing standard workflow documents.
Conditions of Employment:
- Handles a high volume of calls in an inbound, fast-paced contact center.
- Provides superior customer service to patients, families, general public, and co-workers by consistently demonstrating UW Medicine Service Standards.
- Schedules new and return appointments in our electronic systems following scheduling guidelines.
- Provides complete registration and scheduling services for outpatient/clinic services as per registration standards and clinic protocol.
- Routes calls to appropriate clinics, answering service, and/or others as appropriate. Takes accurate and complete messages for clinic providers, staff and management.
- Serves as a liaison between customers and clinics to ensure timely, appropriate transfer of information and response to inquiries.
- Is a knowledgeable resource to patients/customers, striving to build patient/customer loyalty and confidence.
- Resolves patient requests in one call/contact or successfully manages prolonged or complex issues, with high attention to managing the customer experience and emotion.
- Gathers information for accurate documentation of calls and enters into proper database. Verifies and update necessary information at the point of scheduling.
- Coordinates incoming referrals to ensure all referrals are entered into the referral module in the Epic System including prior authorization numbers when needed.
- Coordinates referral management with clinic staff and providers to ensure optimal access to specialty care.
- Coordinates with Financial Service Counselors to ensure applications for coverage are initiated prior to appointment.
- Completes and enters the Medicare as Secondary Payer online form accurately for all Medicare accounts, and initiates the Advanced Beneficiary Notice as appropriate.
- Coordinates with Interpreter Services as indicated.
- Identifies researches and resolves patient questions and inquiries regarding the patient portal. Acts as first level technical response to questions such as password re-set, log-in issues, appointment confirmation, information in medical record looks incorrect, etc.
- Demonstrates in depth knowledge of UW Medicine’s mission, vision and service offerings.
- Adheres to contact center processes and workflow with an attention to continuous quality improvement.
- Recognizes when customers are frustrated or may require education or instruction beyond the issue presented. De-escalates conflict situations with minimal supervisory assistance but recognize when a situation is beyond individual training/expertise and requires assistance.
- Meets or exceeds contact center performance standards and measures with a focus on quality, accuracy and timeliness. Reaches and maintains incremental productivity levels within predetermined time frames (i.e. six, nine and twelve months). Achieves and maintains a minimum call per hour productivity standard.
- Complies with the UW Medicine risk management, compliance, and information security program requirements, including accurate and timely reporting of all adverse incidents as described in the related policies.
- Observes principles of data security and patient confidentiality. Maintain ethical standards in the performance of duties and in interactions with patients, coworkers and health care professionals.
- Demonstrates professional demeanor in appearance and behavior in all work-related interactions.
- Participates and completes the required training program including annual Safety training and all required HIPAA and Compliance training.
- Participates in ongoing technical, customer service, and other training to continually improve skills and stay current with changes in operations.
- Provides patient support services in accordance with pre-existing, highly detailed standard operating procedures.
- May occasionally make routine edits or updates to existing standard operating procedures, such as updating addresses, phone numbers, or contact information of clinics served by the UW Medicine Contact Center
- Identifies, researches and resolves patient questions and inquiries regarding the patient portal. Acts as first level technical response to items such as re-setting passwords, log-in issues, appointment confirmation, information in medical record that appears to be incorrect, etc.
This position is designated as one that performs an essential function. This means that the position's incumbent must continue to report to work in the event that the University suspends operations because of severe weather, natural disaster, or other emergency conditions.
High school graduation, or equivalent AND Two (2) years of general office experience OR One (1) year of in-bound customer service experience.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.
Open to Department employees only If you are a UW employee and would like to be considered for this position, please login to your UW employee profile to apply.