We are educators and technologists who believe that we can positively impact the world through education. We believe that by creating a platform for education we can achieve our mission of making the best education the most available.
We started by opening lab schools to allow educators to explore the educational practices of the future and then brought in a technology team to support educators. Together, we're building an operating system for teaching and learning that makes whole-child, personalized learning possible for students and teachers.
In order to achieve our vision of enabling all children to reach their potential, we're now partnering with forward-thinking schools to impact more students. Together with these innovative partners, we are working to make the best education the most available.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool is a public benefit corporation and is a Certified B Corp (B Corps are for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency).
We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, and Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan's donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, all of who are committed to helping achieve our goal of making the best education the most accessible.
The IT team provides frontline support and security administration to our educators, students, and employees, assisting with managing hardware, software, networking and solving dynamic problems in the classroom as well as the corporate offices. Meeting service requirements in a reliable, scalable and cost-effective manner requires the ingenuity of a team that can identify technologies, define architectures and design methodologies at scale.
IT Support Specialist
The IT Support Specialist at AltSchool will be primarily responsible for designing, implementing, and supporting technical solutions for our PED, Ops, Marketing and Corporate teams in multiple regions around the US. Also, the IT Support Specialist will support our 4 lab schools, located in San Francisco, Brooklyn, and New York. Meeting service level requirements in a reliable, scalable and cost-effective manner requires ingenuity and the ability to identify technologies, define architectures and design methodologies at scale.
- Design, maintain and operate nationally-distributed corporate networks
- Provide support both in person and digitally to both local and remote employees
- Investigate and implement technology solutions that enable AltSchool to deliver an excellent user experience
- Identify chronic or recurring problems and actively seek to resolve them
- Hardware inventory management
- Regularly audit critical systems for compliance
- Follow our user-centered design process in every aspect of your work
- Write excellent documentation
- Create milestones and communicate progress to key stakeholders
- Triage your bug and ticketing queue
- Monitor the availability and reliability of the AltSchool technical infrastructure
- Resolve tier 1 and 2 issues, recognize and escalate tier 3 and 4 issues
Must have experience with:
- 2 years of technical support experience
- Ability to decompose large problems
- Values aesthetics and presentation of any finished solution
- A passion for education; willingness to work with corporate, business operations, and education teams
- Understands and conducts themselves in accordance with AltSchool's mission statement
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Enterprise networking hardware (Meraki, Aruba, etc)
- Enterprise projection and printing solutions
- Video conferencing solutions
- Helpdesk environments, ZenDesk experience a plus
- G Suite domain administration
- On-premise and hosted mail and messaging services
- Managing *nix, Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, and Android devices
- Project management platforms
- Mobile device management platforms
- Mobile and remote connectivity solutions
- On-premise and hosted VoIP solutions
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Free lunch and snacks
- AltSchool tuition assistance
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.
Special School Employment Requirements
All AltSchool employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at AltSchool. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with AltSchool would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that while AltSchool is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas, we are generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship. Please apply if you'd like to be considered for the role.