Posting Number 18-087-BK Working Title RESEARCH ASSOCIATE Classification Title Associate, Academic and Institutional Studies ll Department Name Planning Type of Job Permanent Time Base Full-Time Union Code R09-Technical & Support Svs. Temporary End Date Pay Plan 12 Month Salary Range $5,325 - $9,354 Pay Basis Per Month Special Instructions to Applicants
PRIORITY FILING by January 15, 2019, however this position will remain open until filled.
The Office of Institutional Research, Planning, and Assessment (IRPA) provides information and data analysis in support of budgeting, operations, planning, and policy determinations at California State University, Bakersfield. This office maintains databases of historical and current facts about the University including applications, enrollments, degrees granted, demographics, test scores, grades, courses, and outcomes. It conducts surveys of students and faculty for the assessment of programs and services and provides feedback for quality improvement. Planning staff also provide consultation to other campus units in conducting assessments of their programs and technical support in data analysis and reporting.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President (AVP) of IRPA the Research Associate is responsible for assisting with a variety of institutional research activities such as timely creation and submission of all mandated reports by Chancellor’s Office, writing queries and mining data, analyzing institutional data for internal planning, and providing statistical and technical support. Will work as a team as well as independently. This is a critical position in a dynamic office that supports a wide range of data needs of a midsized university and offers unique opportunities for professional development. Responsible for meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment and able to multi- task and prioritize
Duties and Responsibilities
A. Enrollment Reporting to the Chancellor’s Office
- Submission of Academic and Course Reports, and the preliminary and final Enrollment Reports (ERSS, sERSS, ERSA, ERSR, ERSFA, ERSD, ERSC) every term
- Coordinate with the following departments: Admissions, Registrar, Admissions, Student Financials, Student Disability Resources, Financial Aid, Credential, Outreach, and EGGO in regards to their data that is being reported in the ERS files and also in correcting the edits to ensure data integrity and completion by deadline date
- Develop reports and queries for strategic planning and operational support
B. Statistical methods to explore and analyze problems
- Develops strategic data reports for IRPA using reporting and business intelligence tools
- Review data to ensure as much accuracy as possible
- Translate data codes into meaningful information for end users
C. Data Administration in support of Graduation Initiative and Other Institutional Priorities
- Provides support of database development, reporting and business intelligence tools
- Monitors admission and enrollment data throughout the cycle to detect anomalies that could indicate changes in student behavior.
- Serve as first point of contact for internal and external requests for IRPA data and statistics
E. Enrollment Projections
- Support the development of enrollment projections as directed by the AVP
- Create and maintain statistical models of enrollment projections and student flow through the university
D. Other Job Functions
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned
- Attend training and maintain skill currency as appropriate to safely and effectively complete assignments
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university AND . .
Five years of progressively responsible experience in creating reports and applied use of various statistical tools using Oracle/PeopleSoft Query, SQR, SQL, SPSS, SAS, Access, Excel and Dashboard Analytics.
A combination of related education and professional experience will be considered.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, CREDENTIALS:
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES (SKA’s):
- Possession of a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain by date of hire.
- Experience with using Oracle/PeopleSoft Query
- Data processing software i.e. SQL Developer, SQR
- Experience with higher education data and terminology
- Knowledge of research techniques.
- Experience generating research reports.
- General knowledge of statistical principles and procedures.
- Ability to prepare questionnaires and other survey instruments.
- Ability to gather, compile, and analyze research data, and to present data in tabular, graphic, and pictorial form.
- Capacity for independent and creative thinking and writing on research and statistical problems.
- Ability to plan, organize, and supervise the work of a small team.
- Regular and reliable attendance is required.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills and competence with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
- Experience in Institutional Research at the higher education level
- Graduate study in the social sciences, economics, mathematics, statistics, public or business administration
or engineering is preferred.
Physical Demands SEDENTARY WORK – involves mainly sitting; minimal walking and standing; lifting light weight objects limited to 15 pounds. Environmental Factors N/A Special Conditions
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
Only those applicants possessing experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience and interest in the position.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Sensitive positions are designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of the people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the CSU or individuals in the university community.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY EMPLOYEES UNION:
It shall be the policy of the CSU in filling vacant CSUEU bargaining Units 2, 5, 7 & 9 positions to fill such vacancies from among qualified individuals currently employed on-campus except when it is determined that it is necessary to appoint outside applicants to meet campus workforce diversity goals or to provide specialized skills and abilities that are not available from current employees.
It is the policy of California State University; Bakersfield to hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to present documentation verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be requested to present a social security card at the time of initial appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work.
California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veteran status.
Posting Detail Information
Candidates Eligible to Apply Open to all qualified applicants
Open Date 12/18/2018
Open Until Filled Yes
Review Start Date 01/16/2019
Quick Link to Apply http://csub.peopleadmin.com/postings/1468