Blueprint Robotics aims to disrupt the US multi-family home building industry by bringing proven off-site automation technology and practices from around the world to the US. In the US, the construction industry, unlike the automotive industry, has delivered limited productivity gains remaining largely unchanged for the past 100 years with little to no automation added. However, in Germany, the rest of Europe, and parts of Asia, wood-framed construction has advanced to sophisticated off-site construction methods unseen in the US, until now.
The founders of Blueprint Robotics recognized that the established off-site method of building wood-framed structures is simply a better way to build. Benefits include:
- Significant reduction in material waste
- Higher quality execution of architectural plans and energy efficiency
- Reduces exposure to labor shortages, particularly as the housing market recovers from post-recession lows
- Diminishes time and cost variability stemming from the complexity of scheduling various disjointed subcontractors, weather, etc.
- Reduces overall project timeline, a significant benefit to builders
- True design flexibility, a severe limitation of traditional US modular home builders
In early 2015, the company’s founders partnered with The Invus Group, an equity investor focused on companies looking to transform their industries. Over the next year, the company designed and built its Baltimore manufacturing facility, capable of generating $100+ million in annual revenue. By late 2016, the company completed its first test home. For the past 18 months, Blueprint Robotics has focused on designing and optimizing the entire process - Sales, Design, Manufacturing, and Installation. Over the next 12 months, the company plans to ramp up production and continue to expand its install base across major markets in the Northeast.
In the near future, the company plans to begin adding additional manufacturing facilities. While the first facility will generate $100Mn+ of annual revenue the first facility will barely scratch the surface of the potential opportunity. The company believes there is significant room to grow and in the process to build a billion-dollar business, with the ultimate vision to have dozens of facilities strategically located throughout the US.
Blueprint is highly entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and in permanent learning mode. It is focused on perfecting its business model while bringing excellence and innovation to the US construction industry. The management team cultivates an open, direct, and respectful communication style. The company’s values are Excellence, Innovation, People, and Collaboration:
- Excellence: Blueprint is passionate about setting the highest standard for quality and customer satisfaction.
- Innovation: Blueprint strives to implement creative new ideas that will positively change the industry.
- People: The company seeks to be the best place to work for and the best place to buy a home from in the industry.
- Collaboration: The team collaborates within the company as well as with customers and vendors to provide the best solutions.
- Works closely with Executive Management on project selection, pricing strategies, bid preparation and notification of bid schedule, deliverables and forecasting.
- Multitasking and prioritizing to ensure that multiple bids or assignments take place simultaneously as needed.
- Works with the sales team and CFO to perform all major bid closings. Knows how to take off estimates and price labor and material during the bid process; can define the scope of work; and ensures price coverage by vendors. This person will ensure the proper transition from pre-construction to operations for all successful bid estimates to ensure the best chance for project success.
- Establishes budgets and at times negotiates the best deals, which meet the contract specifications and remains within the established budgets while taking into account project-specific challenges.
- Performs pre-construction/sales meetings to ensure goals and targets are maintained.
- Assists in the development of the construction plan, logistics layout, and estimate outline.
- Participates with operations and make recommendations for bid evaluations in developing the project budget.
- Takes a major role in leadership and training of pre-construction team for growth and success of the department.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or comparable degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as the Senior Preconstruction Manager and minimum of 10 years in a commercial construction related field with a large General Contractor.
- Demonstrated knowledge of scheduling, cost engineering, subcontract coordination, and general project administration.
- Experienced knowledge reading drawings and understanding building code specifications.
- Comfortable handling issues with officers and company executives.
- Demonstrated success in managing pre-construction process for major, complex projects.
- Makes authoritative decisions and recommendations that have a significant impact on the overall financial and operational growth of the company.
- Demonstrates a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent listening, negotiation, presentation skills.
- Knowledge of wood frame construction preferred.
- Team player and reliable.
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Interest and passion for building and growing with a start-up.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 10 years (Preferred)
- Construction Management: 10 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Innovative -- innovative and risk-taking
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture