Job Description :GENERAL OVERVIEW:
Summer Internship for May-August 2019 in the Actuarial Department at Highmark Health in either Pittsburgh or Camp Hill, PA (based on candidate preference). Please apply to location of choice ONLY.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
This job has the goal of providing the opportunity to acquire practical experience through direct exposure to the related business line(s) and to develop the next generation of diverse business professionals. To that end, the program will provide hands-on training and experience in the business line, expose the various career opportunities in the business line and related areas, and prepare participants for positions in the business.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Incumbent will be tasked with well-defined independent project(s)
Working on projects with other members of the actuarial department.
Completing Ad-Hoc data collection, validation, and analysis.
Communicating results via emails, memos, and/or meetings
Full or part-time enrollment in an accredited college or university baccalaureate program.
Completion of an actuarial exam component or intention to pursue actuarial exams.
Ability to communicate effectively.
Experience in gathering and presenting data and reports
Willing to take initiative to analyze data and reports, to identify issues and problems, and to follow through to pursue resolution.
RECRUITMENT TIMELINE EXPECTATIONS:
End of August – November 1st: Application Open
End of August – Early November: On-Campus Interview (at select campuses) or On-Site Interview at Highmark Corporate Headquarters
Subject to change**
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Communicate effectively while interacting directly with colleagues, clientele, and/or other internal or external constituencies in the planning of assignments and the resolution of day-to-day operational problems.
2. Under supervision, provide entry-level professional services as appropriate to the day-to-day operating objectives of the area. Receives guidance, training, and mentoring from senior personnel in planning and carrying out activities and assignments.
3. Undertake and/or participates in projects and programs designed to develop professional skills and expertise appropriate to the needs of the organization.
4. Participate in the planning and implementation of unit projects and initiatives within area of expertise and ability.
5. As specifically requested by management, conduct research and reporting inclusive of recommendations or alternative proposals for action.
6. Undertake related studies or enrichment programs as appropriate to the specific objectives of the operating unit.
7. Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org