The Criminal Appeals Bureau (CAB) of The Legal Aid Society has an opening for a Paralegal II. The position will involve assisting clients and attorneys with identifying cases that are appropriate for appeal, preparing and filing notices of appeal, and assisting clients in completing applications for the assignment of appellate counsel. The position involves significant contact with clients, attorneys and court personnel. Time will be divided between the Bronx Criminal Defense Practice trial office and CAB.
- Assist clients in understanding and initiating appellate process
- Review files of recent dispositions and assist attorneys in identifying cases appropriate for filing notices of appeal
- File notices of appeal or complete referral forms for CAB Managing Attorney's Office
- Assist clients in applying for assignment of appellate counsel, including notarizing their applications
- Obtain and maintain current client contact information
- Correspond with clients needing further assistance with assignment-of-counsel process
- Help track notices of appeal and assignments of appellate counsel
- Utilize Law Manager computer system for all of the above
- Other duties as assigned
- Paralegal certificate from ABA accredited paralegal program, Bachelor's degree in relevant field or satisfactory completion of a comprehensive in-house training course appropriate to practice area
- Experience in and/or commitment to advocacy on behalf of low-income people is strongly desired
- Excellent writing, verbal, and organizational skills
- Proficiency in computer and word processing skills
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, and strong attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Ability to interact effectively and independently with courts and related criminal justice agencies, as well as work with CDP and CAB attorneys, paralegals and other support staff
- Some knowledge of New York criminal law and criminal procedures
- Notary Public or willing to become a notary
- Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer - women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org opens an email client application .