The Traffic Controller – Flagger Traineecontrols traffic on construction sites. The Flagger is the man and/or woman along roads and highways who helps traffic keep flowing through a construction zone, despite a shutdown of lanes.
- Places traffic cones and uses signs and hand signals to communicate with motorists,
- Ensures that oncoming traffic knows whether to stop or continue through the roadway,
- Ability to speak and read the English language,
- Performs traffic control and flagging activities as needed,
- Follows safety rules and regulations on all work zone and flagging sites, including placing signs, barricades, traffic cones and other warning devices,
- Operates pickups and flatbed trucks (not requiring a commercial driver’s license), and miscellaneous hand
tools in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures,
- Conducts routine equipment maintenance and daily equipment inspections according to County standards,
- Performs basic road repair and maintenance tasks; reports safety hazards and traffic problems.
- Performs manual labor assignments as needed, cuts brush with hand tools, chips, loads and hauls brush,
removes dead animals along county roads, clears rights-of-way of brush and other debris to improve
visibility or diminish road hazards,
- Does facility housekeeping and maintenance,
- Prepares reports and maintains records,
- Responds to emergencies as directed and performs tasks in the interest of public safety and property
protection during emergencies, and
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent;
- Must possess less than 2 years of Traffic Controller – Flagger experience,
- Must be 18 years of age or older,
- Must be able to obtain a Traffic Control Flagger’s card within 3 months of one’s date of hire,
- Must be able to successfully complete First Aid/CPR training programs within 3 months of one’s date of hire,
- Must possess a valid and current driver’s license,
- Must be able to work in all kinds of weather conditions including extreme heat and cold, rain, wind and other conditions,
- All employees are subject to drug & alcohol screening and criminal background checks,
- Must follow all safety standards and procedures, and
- Must be able to perform additional duties as assigned.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and fully subscribe to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants and/or employees are considered for hire, promotion, training opportunities, and work assignments, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by federal or local laws.
Job Type: Full-time