This is a part time position (up to 28 hours a week)
4 days/week - 8:30am -3:30pm
The Community Specialist provides personal care and skill development training for participants in the day habilitation program. This person supports personal choice, self-advocacy, and full community inclusion. This person works towards the attainment of each participant’s goals and completion of all required documentation. The Community Specialist reports directly to the Program Manager.
- Work collaboratively with all Midland staff
- Teach and implement groups, as assigned within the day habilitation program
- Provide personal care and assistance to all participants consistent with their needs
- Understand and be able to implement behavioral treatment plans, as needed
- Assist in toileting, lifting and transferring of participants
- Assist in the development of the weekly activity schedules and community based activities, based on individual preferences and needs
- Complete all required documentation in a timely manner, focusing on complete and accurate information
- Participate in service plan or IDT meetings, as needed or appropriate
- Assure that all program areas are clean, organized and prepared for daily activities
- Assist participants with the transition to and from the day habilitation program
- May require transportation/driving of participants to community activities
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Program Manager
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must have a valid driver's license and clean driving record (driver's abstract will be performed prior to hire).
- Proactive, energetic and professional demeanor.
- Prior experience working with intellectually and/or developmentally disabled individuals highly preferred.
- Self motivated and work well in a team environment.
- Patience, persistence and a positive attitude.
- Ability to establish a comfortable and supportive relationship with individuals receiving support.
- Must be able and willing to complete all required Division of Developmental Disabilities training and successfully maintain the required training(s) throughout tenure.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, must have excellent command of the English language.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $12.00 /hour
- direct support: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- valid driver's license (Required)
- clean driving record (Required)