EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of five years of increasingly responsible administrative support experience in payroll/benefits, preferably in a public school district setting.
- Responsible for administering and supervising all payroll related activities.
- Administer payroll for all school district personnel in accordance with negotiated contracts or established Board of Education policies and schedules.
- Pay and reconcile federal and state withholding deposits.
- Reconcile, prepare and provide W-2 forms to employees.
- Reconcile and provide employee wage and tax deductions to State Treasury Department.
- Reconcile reports to Social Security Administration including 941 and annual quarterly report.
- Administer reports and issue monies to Michigan Public Schools Employees Retirement System.
- Administer employee optional deductions which include but are not limited to monies to designated credit unions, TSA companies, HEA accounts, flexible spending, etc.
- Maintain all pertinent reports necessary to pay employees including authorizations for any amounts paid or deducted.
- Responsible for all calculations of teacher and administrative contracts.
- Administer all hourly retroactive payments.
- Responsible for implementing all garnishments on individual employees.
- Obtain and implement updated tax laws.
- Responsible for administering and supervising fringe benefits related activities
- Administer individual benefit entitlements for all school district personnel in accordance with negotiated contracts or established Board of Education policies and schedules.
- Administer benefit information regarding specific programs.
- Monitor employee eligibility.
- Maintain contracts between Howell Public Schools and various benefit providers.
- Provide oversight for the processing of bills from insurance carriers including monitoring and resolving fringe benefit billing discrepancies.
- Responsible for employment orientation as it relates to payroll/fringe benefits/retirement both verbal and written. Determine individual employee benefit costs and notifying employees in written form. Administer the Michigan Public Schools Employee Retirement Tax Deferred Plan (TDP), prepare Final Salary Affidavits on new retires.
- Administer district cafeteria 125 plan documents including yearly notifications to eligible employees.
- Notify employees of COBRA rights including processing applications and payment to insurance carriers of monthly premiums received from eligible employees.
- Notify employees of FMLA and implementation of those rights when eligible.
- Worker’s compensation reports and values.
- Supervision of payroll/benefits staff.
- Work with employees to explain and review discrepancies noted in payroll and benefit information.
- Responsible for becoming familiar with new computer programs, operations and capabilities, relating to payroll and fringe benefits.
- Responsible for payroll and fringe benefits procedures within the district.
- Coordination with Human Resources department on workers’ compensation, FMLA, new employee orientation, etc.
- Prepare various payroll/benefit audit schedules.
- Assist in the development of contract negotiation worksheets.
- Review payroll schedule and is proactive in approach to scheduling given holidays and changes in work schedule.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule to meet demands during peak periods for payroll and fringe benefit deadlines.
- Regular, predictable attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 /year