All applications must be submitted online at https://uncgacareers.northcarolina.edu/postings/69366
The North Carolina Arboretum, located in Asheville, N.C., is currently seeking an experienced Event Manager.
The North Carolina Arboretum is a 434 acre public garden affiliated with the University of North Carolina featuring indoor and outdoor exhibits, educational activities, and plant-centered research and economic development programs. The North Carolina Arboretum Society is a 501 ©(3) nonprofit corporation that supports the Arboretum’s mission of cultivating connections between people and plants through the membership program, individual and corporate giving programs, retail operations, sponsored research activities and fee-based educational program and exhibits and green events. The Operations Department area of the North Carolina Arboretum oversees retail sales, food service, horticulture, construction and contracts, maintenance, housekeeping, and events management. The Events Manager falls within this department.
Event Manager duties will include:
General Facility Rentals:
- Manage and maintain the organizational master calendar via Altru database system; * Regularly check organizational calendar for conflicts; * Construction of weekly function sheet communicating facility wide set up needs to necessary support staff; * Support the event coordinators with inquiries, site visits, rental agreement, payments, questions, on site event supervision and logistics; * Review and sign client contracts; * Propose and manage departmental budgets; * Maintain inventory; * Purchasing of supplies and equipment; * Hire and schedule support staff to work events; * Develop, schedule, and plan new internal programming such as Sumer Light and Wine in the Gardens; * Plan and coordinate executive and university events; * Develop and maintain relationships with various vendors; * Negotiate vendor contracts; * Support all building managers when needed and serve as building manager for various events; * Fulfill all needs of the event coordinator positions during each individual’s leave; * Ticketing support for all internal events; * Assist with volunteers during internal events; and, * Maintain good working relationship with on-site food vendor.
General Facility and Meeting Rentals:
- Review and update facility and meeting rental program documents, pricing, policies and procedures annually; * Support events coordinator in scheduling and booking of annual plant shows; * Serve as liaison for client on the day of the event and be availalble for questions and client support; and, * Review and update facility and meeting rental program website content.
Green Wedding Rentals:
- Review and update green wedding program documents, pricing, policies and procedures annually; * Review and update green wedding program website and marketing materials; and, * Handle tenting related inquiries and bookings.
Winter Lights: * Attend all Winter Lights team meetings; * Interview and hire ticketing and building management staff; * Prepare and review all training documents; * Schedule and conduct staff trainings; * Schedule and train nightly property managers; * Work select evenings of the program; * Provide Altru, ticketing and phone support; * Notify all necessary staff in event of a show cancellation as well as assisting with refunds; and, * Volunteer assistance.
Alcohol Beverage Service:
- Develop and review alcoholic beverage packages, policies and procedures annually; * Log and maintain inventory * Purchase inventory and supplies; * Schedule bar staffing in partnership with service provider; * Apply for ABC permit renewals annually; * Schedule R.A.S.S.P. trainings for all new TNCA staff; and, * Work alongside Campus Police to ensure compliance with ABC regulations and the safety of TNCA event guests.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major or equivalent combination of education and experience; at least 3 years’ experience in the event management or related professional area required.
Management Preference: At least 5 years experience performing events management department duties and supervisory experience.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00 to $43,000.00 /year
- Event Management: 3 years
- management: 5 years