Birth Certificate Clerk(Job Number: INT-25772-152802)
Work Location: United States-Texas-Corpus Christi-Corpus Christi Medical Center
Schedule: PRN/Per Diem
Job Type: Admitting Registration Clerical & Scheduling
The Birth Certificate Clerk is responsible for collecting the necessary data elements for the completion of the birth certificate as required by state law. Responsibilities include working with the parents to gather data that is required for the Acknowledgment of Paternity (AOP), which can be a critical and sometimes difficult part of the birth certificate process.
Duties Include but are not limited to:
- Completes any certification program and continuing education that may be required by state law to accurately perform the duties of the birth certificate clerk and works under the guidelines and process as defined by the state.
- Interacts with the parents to collect and document the birth information, delivering the appropriate forms to them and providing guidance in the completion of the forms.
- Works with the parents to complete the Acknowledgment of Paternity form, which can require patience, diplomacy and sensitivity if there is conflict regarding parental responsibility.
- Reviews patient medical records and other resources, as needed, to obtain required birth information.
- Reviews completed birth certificate worksheet for completeness and accuracy, ensuring that signatures of the parents are obtained for the birth certificate and any other state specific program, such as Healthy Start,
- Medicaid, Social Security forms.
- Enters birth certificate information into appropriate computer software program and transmits data in a timely manner as required by state law.
- Meets or exceeds productivity standard of processing two (2) birth registrations per hour.
- Meets with auditors, according to state regulations, who visit the facility on a regular basis to monitor/audit the birth certificate and AOP process, providing reports and data to them as needed.
- Changes baby names in MEDITECH as needed, from generic baby girl/baby boy to given name and validates name change in HPF.
- Works closely with Obstetrical nursing staff to perform duties and may work on the floor and away from the
- HIM department.
- Maintains confidentiality with all PHI and HIPAA related information.
- Practices and adheres to the Code of Conduct philosophy and the Mission and Value statement.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school graduate or equivalent required
1 year experience in an office environment preferred. Previous experience in handling patient health information and/or medical records is strongly preferred.
Completing a certification program from the state may be required; training will be provided.