The PCAOB oversees the audits of public companies and SEC-registered brokers and dealers in order to protect investors and further the public interest in the preparation of informative, accurate, and independent audit reports.
Job Description Summary
The PCAOB has a fulltime position for a Senior Cloud Engineer in our Infrastructure team. The position is located in the Ashburn, Virginia office and reports to the Manager, Infrastructure. The ideal candidate for this role will have a solid understanding of cloud computing and technology systems and current trends, as well as experience with Azure cloud.
- Supports a systematic engineering approach to the design, architecture, requirements elicitation, development, operation, and use of cloud technologies and platforms for mission solutions.
- Collaborates with data and technology business partners to understand the PCAOB’s business needs from viewpoint of cloud infrastructure.
- Architects, plans, and implements cloud infrastructure solutions that balance simplicity, standards, scalability, extensibility, supportability, and integrity.
- Designs and supports mission-critical, high-availability architectures.
- Evaluates new cloud technologies and makes substantiated recommendations for improvement.
- Works closely with IT security to monitor the PCAOB’s cloud privacy.
- Documents engineering standards, proposals, and/or recommendations for system design, engineering changes, and configuration management relating to cloud infrastructure.
- Ensures technical solutions meet the PCAOB’s quality, security, and compliance requirements.
- Regularly evaluates existing cloud infrastructure to identify risks or opportunities for improvement.
- Maintains the day-to-day health of the PCAOB’s cloud and on-premise infrastructure, taking all steps to ensure its productivity and optimization.
- Migrates on-premise workload(s) to cloud service provider(s).
- Responds to technical issues in a professional and timely manner.
- Trains Infrastructure team members in the day-to-day operational support duties related to cloud infrastructure.
- Offers guidance in infrastructure movement techniques, including bulk application transfers into the cloud.
- Identifies the best cloud architecture solutions to successfully meet the strategic needs of the organization.
- Participates in “on-call, after-hours” rotation schedules.
- Participates in after-hours upgrades and troubleshooting activities, as required.
- Functions as a Tier 3 escalation point for infrastructure issues.
- Willingness to travel to the PCAOB’s Washington, DC office or other regional offices occasionally, as required.
· Education/Technical Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required in computer science, computer engineering, information technology, or similar field.
- Azure certification highly desired (e.g. in areas of cloud architecture, data services, and security).
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in systems engineering in a corporate / enterprise IT environment.
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience designing, executing, and supporting IT cloud solutions.
- Experience with Azure cloud data engineering (e.g. Azure ML, Azure Cosmos, Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Databricks, Azure Analysis Services).
- Experience with Azure cloud services (e.g. Azure Integration Services, Azure Logic Apps, hybrid cloud, advanced cloud security, Azure compute and storage services).
- Practical experience with architecture, implementation, and operation of complex multi-vendor, multi-server network infrastructures in support of a mission-critical enterprise environment.
- Demonstrated experience making architectural decisions based on simplicity, standards, scalability, extensibility, supportability, sustainability, and integrity.
- Astute in recognizing opportunities for low-hanging fruit when architecting cloud-based solutions.
- Solid experience doing on-prem to cloud migrations.
- Experience working with agile methodologies.
- Solid experience supporting and integrating hybrid cloud architecture, on-prem, multiple cloud providers, disaster recovery as a service (DRaaS) providers, and PaaS/SaaS providers.
- Experience in key aspects of platform performance and availability monitoring and administration in a 24x7 production environment required.
- Must possess a thorough understanding of Azure Active Directory Services and related components.
- Operational experience with Azure VM services, VMWare vSphere 6.5+, vROPS and consolidated backup (VCB) experience a strong plus.
- Experience with Altiris, SCOM 2016, and Symantec Enterprise Vault 11 is a strong plus.
- Practical working knowledge of Azure cloud storage options and storage and disk array technologies, including RAID, SAN, and NAS.
- In-depth knowledge of debugging problems related to network communications protocols (SMTP, SNMP, RPC, X.400, ODBC, with focus on Microsoft TCP/IP) is strong plus.
- Problem solving abilities, with the ability to “think outside the box” to devise operational solutions to complex technical problems.
- A self-starter able to administer a number of open, ongoing assignments at any one time, where some assignments are routinely unstructured, requiring autonomy and independent judgment.
- In-depth experience successfully harmonizing diverse and competing interests.
- Ability to clearly articulate a position with sound logic, supporting empirical evidence, and impartiality.
- Ability to effectively represent the organization to a variety of both internal and external constituencies.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
As we seek to accomplish our mission and implement our vision, we expect integrity, pursue excellence, operate with effectiveness, embrace collaboration, and demand accountability.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All PCAOB employees are entitled to equal opportunity and a professional work environment, free of discrimination and harassment. A workplace free of discrimination is fundamental to professional success and to the PCAOB's mission. The PCAOB will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $0.00 per hour
- systems engineering: 5 years (Required)
- designing cloud solutions: 5 years (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Signing bonus
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Tuition reimbursement
Visa Sponsorship Potentially Available:
- No: Not providing sponsorship for this job
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- Stable -- traditional, stable, strong processes