The City is currently seeking a part-time maintenance worker for the Department of Public Works to perform a variety of routine, emergency repair and maintenance of equipment operation tasks related to the City’s parks and recreation areas, repair of streets, water distribution lines and services, and sanitary and storm sewer lines. The maintenance worker will also perform work associated with construction. Work is performed at the journey level under the supervision of the Public Works Superintendent.
- Manual labor including digging, shoveling, operating jack hammer, tap machine, and threader, for repair site preparation.
- Performs large scale maintenance and repair to the water distribution and wastewater collection infrastructure.
- Operates high velocity cleaner, air compressor, rodder, and other equipment by preparing the equipment for use.
- Records water usage by driving and walking specified routes to read individual and group water meters at residential and business addresses, disconnects services from abandoned dwellings and for non-payment.
- Performs street maintenance work at all levels.
- Repairs and installs traffic signs, replaces street light bulbs and repairs light poles using ladder truck and pickup truck; performs underground utility locating functions as needed.
- Interacts in a professional and respectful manner with city staff and the public.
Completion of high school or equivalent and some experience and training in the maintenance and repair of City’s utility services, streets, and grounds or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience that provides the following:
- A valid California Driver’s License and a good driving record.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License with the appropriate endorsement.
- Ability to obtain a California State pesticide applicators certification.
- Knowledge of safe operation of tools and equipment used in performing maintenance.
- Knowledge of proper lifting techniques and personal protective equipment used in the operation of hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of basic construction skills.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work out of doors for extended periods under all weather conditions.
- Physically perform the essential functions of the job.
- Compensation $14.00/hr. - $15.50/hr. DOE
- Up to 960 hours per year - Temporary
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $14.00 to $15.50 /hour
- maintenance: 1 year (Preferred)