We are committed to provide our Employees a stable work environment with equal opportunity for learning and personal growth. Creativity and innovation are encouraged for improving the effectiveness of Southwest Airlines. Above all, Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.
An Associate Data Scientist in Southwest Airlines' Revenue Management serves as an internal consultant, responsible for the application of data, math, and computer science concepts to collect, organize, analyze, summarize, and interpret data; create knowledge; or develop predictive and prescriptive capabilities which drive actionable decisions and generate competitive advantage.
- Must be able to meet any physical ability requirements listed on this description.
- May perform other job duties as directed by Employee's Leaders.
- Executes data science projects, working with business Customers to understand contextual problems quickly and define, analyze, and deliver solutions based on business objectives (specifically in the fields of Yield Management, Pricing, Operations Research and Business Decision Support)
- Applies math, statistics, and/or advanced modeling methods in order to create solutions which can be utilized in descriptive, diagnostic, predictive, and prescriptive analytics as it relates to Yield Management, Pricing, Operations Research and Business Decision Support
- Interacts with functional leaders across multiple and concurrent projects
- With some assistance, formulates and communicates solutions and options for moderately complex problems
- Creates and communicates results from data analysis and models, with some assistance from more Sr. Data Scientist
- Supports the ongoing effectiveness of models in use by business Customers
High School Diploma or GED
Analytics, Applied Mathematics, Business, Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Information Systems, Math, Science, or Statistics is preferred
- Minimum 2 years of advanced analytic, data or data science project work experience required. Masters Degree can substitute 1 year of work experience
- Minimum 1 year of programming experience preferred
- Minimum 1 years of visualization and presentation experience preferred
- Airline experience preferred
- Data science certification preferred
Advanced Analytic Skills
- Must be proficient in both inductive and deductive reasoning and problem solving approaches
- Must be proficient in learning and understanding contextual problems quickly
- Must be proficient in predictive and prescriptive statistical methods and their differences
- Must have the ability to evaluate which analytic method(s) are appropriate for a business problem and make recommendations for solutions
- Must be proficient in test and control methodologies and experimental design
Data Engineering and Computer Science Skills
- Must have exposure to acquiring data in both relational and noSQL databases
- Must have experience processing and integrating large amounts of data necessary for analysis and modeling
- Must be proficient in one or more scripting and statistical programming languages
- Must understand, at a broad level, how technology platforms and architectures are applicable to data science
Consulting and Communications
- Must be proficient in problem solving, critical thinking, and project management skills
- Must be proficient in driving moderately complex data science projects including participating in business stakeholder meetings, solution definition and planning, detailed task and deliverable definition and creation, and project schedule creation
- Must be proficient at developing plans for analytic projects
- Must be proficient in building trust with all levels of Employees up to and including functional leaders and must have the ability to properly manage highly sensitive and confidential information
- Must be proficient at communicating in an engaging way with strong verbal and written communication skills for technical and non-technical audiences up to and including functional leaders
- Must demonstrate the ability to adjust well to a variety of situations and change approaches/methodology if necessary in order to effectively and successfully meet objectives
- Must demonstrate a willingness to adapt to new approaches and methodologies prescribed by leadership/management
Capacity and Independence
- Must be proficient in engaging in and leading multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be able to perform job duties with minimal supervision
- Must be comfortable with ambiguity and achieve productivity in an unstructured environment through thoughtful question-asking, self-structuring, creative ingenuity, and self-management
- Must maintain a well-groomed appearance per Company appearance standards as described in established guidelines.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines.
- Must be able to work extended hours, as determined by leader and project needs
- Must be able comply with Company attendance standards as described in established guidelines.
Southwest Airlines is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please print/save the job description because it won't be available after you apply.