Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations.
Reporting to a Patient Care Services Director, assumes house wide accountability for patient movement and supervision of clinical activities. This position may also require dedicated time in addition to Clinical Nurse Manager role specifically involved in activities supporting the Patient Care Managers with rounding tied to Patient Perception of Care.
1. Collaborates with Patient Care Manager to plan, provide, and evaluate the nursing care in the patient care areas.
2. Coordinates patient care by managing patient flow and staffing. Assesses staffing needs in relation to patient acuity, unit ADT (admission/discharge/transfer) activity and census, and competency of staff; utilizes staff variance report and communicates directly with the PCM or Charge Nurse of the unit to make adjustments to staffing. Attends Patient Flow meetings (Evening CNMs) to participate in decisions related to patient placement and staff utilization, and passes on information to the other shifts.
3. Provides divisional supervision and management on off-shifts, weekends, and holidays. Covers for other Clinical Nurse Managers as necessary. Adheres to and enforces Norwalk Hospital Policies and Procedures.
4.Collaborates with the Patient Care Manager and Patient Care Service Director in the development of clinical policy / procedure and standards of care.
5. Leads and expedites the process of patient movement which includes taking reports, championing daily bed meetings, assigning beds and facilitating the transport of patients.
6. Prioritizes patient placement based on acuity, bed availability and an evaluation of staffing needs. Makes the determination of clinical unit that is impacted by assessing variations in patient admissions, discharges, transfers and then adjusts levels of staff accordingly.
7. Works collaboratively with Patient Care Managers and is a liaison with the admitting office in mobilizing patients.
8. Analyzes and evaluates the impact and cost-effectiveness of staffing decisions, and interventions on patient care and nursing practice. Effectively manages and utilizes staffing resources, supplies and equipment.
9. Ensures staff participation in cost containment.
10. Effectively uses Nash staffing system and documents reasons for variances (e.g. acuity).
11. Ensures that required resources are available to meet patient care needs.
12. Promotes the profession of Nursing and the organization to all customers by communicating the Norwalk Hospital mission and values and acting as a loyal, supportive and informed representative.
13. Holds staff accountable for achieving high levels of performance consistent with evident-based practice.
14. Provides vision and leadership to staff and establishes a collaborative environment that offers job satisfaction, gives recognition and stimulates innovative thinking to accomplish goals and objectives.
15. Ensures that all staff members understands their role in accomplishing unit divisional and strategic objectives.
16. In conjunction with PCM, appropriately councils and disciplines staff to ensure quality of work in adherence to Hospital policies and procedures.
17. Collaborates with Patient Care Manager and/or Educator to identify needs.
18. Utilizes own clinical practice to provide learning opportunities for staff, i.e. bedside assessment.
19. Deploys self to units with high acuity/activity, staffing issues, to ensure delivery of patient care per standards
20. Assesses occurrences and safety issues; conducts timely debriefings with involved patient care staff members after every fall, medication variance, and behavioral restraining, to facilitate improvement in safety and quality of care outcomes by taking advantage of “Teachable Moments.” Submits debriefing documentation to the designated person.
21. Assists with orienting / educating staff members on changes in policy, procedures, and practices, and to new equipment.
22. Acts as Patient / Family advocate.
23. Ensures that all staff are held accountable for adhering to "care team behaviors" ( caring, attentiveness, responsiveness, empathy and teamwork).
24. Obtains direct customer feedback through interactions with patients/families/employees/physicians.
25. Understands and communicates all relevant regulatory standards to staff ensuring that standards are met or exceeded
26. Responds to all Codes and Alerts (e.g. Trauma Alert, Stroke Alert)
27.Demonstrates critical thinking and problem-solving skills, including: negotiation, compromise and consensus-building, delegation, conflict resolution, investigation and information-gathering, etc.
Supports the Patient Care Managers with rounding tied to Patient Perception of Care.
28. Fulfills all compliance items for the position.
29. Performs other duties as required or requested.
Bachelors Degree required/or matriculated. Masters preferred.
Currently license in CT as a Registered Professional Nurse.
3 years Nursing experience in acute care required.
Certification by National Specialty Organization preferred.
1-3 years management experience preferred.
BLS required; ACLS preferred.
IV Validation preferred.
Demonstrated ability to direct a large, diverse work force. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and to implement and support change. Demonstrated ability to promote team-building, leadership and professionalism through performance. Excellent communication skills. Windows
Norwalk-34 Maple St
Day/Eve 8 & 12
Off shift and weekends - variable shifts
Nursing Clin Adm Supervisor
EOE, including disability/vets.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.