The Medical Clerk provides support to the Emergency Shelter Lead Medical Care Coordinator and Medical Care Specialist. This position is responsible for the management of administrative, clerical and operational functioning of medical services provided to UAC. This position is supervised by the Emergency Shelter Lead Medical Care Coordinator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Lead Medical Care Coordinator and Medical Care Specialist in monitoring and maintaining compliance with organization policy and procedure, licensing requirements, and funding sources for the program.
- Respond to all telephone calls and correspondence related to medical services in a prompt and friendly manner, coordinating services and troubleshooting with medical providers about services, billing, etc.
- Assist with collection, maintenance, and submission of data for monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to Program Director, and appropriate parties at Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR).
- Attend all organizational required trainings.
- Oversee the maintenance of confidential medical records.
- Coordinate medical appointments and services.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
- In absence of the Medical Specialist or Lead Medical Care Coordinator, provide coverage of duties as assigned.
- Actively participate in the enhancement and/or improvement of the International Children Program, including the living and working environment in cooperation with the Program Director and Assistant Program Director.
- Attend administrative staff meetings, staff retreats, and other team building activities.
- Demonstrate proficiency in knowledge of CPR/First Aid, Emergency Behavior Intervention, and child abuse reporting policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate proficiency in knowledge of TDFP Minimum Standards and Office of Refugee Resettlement – Division of Unaccompanied Children’s Services National Care Standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge and sensitivity of cultural norms, values and heritage.
In accordance with St. PJ’s Policies and Procedures, TDFPS Minimum Standards, and Office of Refugee Resettlement – Division of Unaccompanied Children’s Services National Care Standards, the Medical Clerk must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Submit to a state and federal background check, Child abuse and neglect registry check, and Tuberculosis screening.
- Must have a valid Texas Driver's License.
- Be physically, mentally, and emotionally capable of performing assigned tasks and have the skills necessary to perform essential duties and responsibilities.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is required.
Education and/or Experience
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent, and three years of relevant experience.
- Experience in the medical field preferred.
- Must have a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. The position requires demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy. Some analytical ability is required in order to gather and summarize date for reports, find solutions to various administrative problems, and prioritize work.
- Must have experience composing correspondence, typing, managing purchases and inventories, using web-based databases, establishing priorities, and managing deadlines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, hear, sit, stand, walk, talk, bend, stoop, lift and stretch. The employee is also required to use fine motor skills to type and write.
Given the nature of working with children who have been abused, neglected, and/or exploited, the work environment can be somewhat stressful and emotionally challenging. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job description or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, etc.)
Job Type: Full-time
- medical field: 3 years (Required)
- San Antonio, TX 78210 (Required)
- Valid Texas Driver's License (Required)