Responsible for delivering comprehensive reproductive and sexual health care in the areas of gynecology, sexually transmitted disease, family planning/contraceptive counseling and mid-life services. Act as part of the medical services team providing care according to PPMW protocols and operational processes. Provide high quality care delivered in a customer service driven environment.
- Secure a complete health history, including obstetric, gynecologic, contraceptive, medical, surgical, sexual, family health, and psycho-social; and record findings accurately and succinctly.
- Perform physical examinations with special emphasis on the reproductive system, including breast examination, pelvic examination, cancer screening tests, diagnosis of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and other types of more specialized procedures as may be indicated by medical policy.
- After observation and approval, provide direct medical care to patients for core services; this may include family planning, surgical abortion, medication abortion and colposcopy service.
- Perform and interpret ultrasound for gestational dating and IUD localization.
- Provide all aspects of abortion care allowed by law and within PPMW Medical Standards and Guidelines and protocols.
- Serve as a telephone resource person for client or medical information calls.
- Participate in accomplishing customer-focused goals.
- Provide referrals and assure follow-up.
- Perform order and interpret diagnostic studies as indicated and permitted by affiliate medical protocols.
- Consult with VP of Medical Affairs , VP of Patient Services, and/or Family Planning and Abortion Coordinators as needed to ensure compliance with PPMW standards and guidelines.
- After observation and approval, and if qualified according to PPMW requirements for mid-level Colposcopist, may provide skilled colposcopy services for patients requiring such treatment for abnormal pap smears.
- Provide on-going specialized preceptor duties, such as training for residents, nurse practitioner and Registered Nurse students.
- Assist in emergencies as needed.
- Participate in after-hours emergency call triage nursing per PPMW protocol.
- Participate in risk and quality management activities, including, but not limited to recording adverse reactions, occurrence reporting and maintenance of abortion complication data.
- Provide relevant health instruction to include family planning, nutrition, sexual counseling, and principles of health promotion and maintenance.
- Work independently to maintain up-to-date knowledge in the health care field via attending seminars and workshops, and reading relevant material.
- Support and encourage a culture that:
- Provides a rich conduit of information and ideas between sites and other PPMW departments.
- Participates in ongoing feedback with colleagues.
- Incorporates customer satisfaction into all aspects of the work.
- Encourages team to take responsibility for evaluating and improving systems.
- Demonstrate flexibility and teamwork; understand the interaction between this position and others with whom the position works directly and indirectly.
- Ensure that interactions incorporate PPMW values of integrity, partnership, customer focus, communication and quality.
- Support effort of the PPMW’s diversity program to provide services that are culturally and linguistically competent; takes the initiative to develop own awareness and knowledge of diversity matters.
- Complete all responsibilities according to established protocols, policies and standard practices in the areas of customer service, quality assurance and regulatory compliance programs such as HIPAA (Health Information Portability & Accountability Act), OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Act) and CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Administration) and Title X.
- Collaborate with the health team and other community agencies and resources (e.g., physicians, local health departments, social service, nutritionists, dentists, and parent education groups), through joint planning and coordination of activities, in providing comprehensive care.
- Participate in Risk Management and Quality Assurance program, medical committee meetings and other agency and center meetings as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions for those Clinicians who perform specialized procedures/services:
Specialized Procedure Requirements:
- Must meet requirements for Clinicians performing IUC insertion and removal, implant insertion and removal, medication abortion, ultrasounds, and colposcopies (preferred) as outlined in the PPMW Medical Protocols.
- Must be granted clinical privileges by the PPMW VP of Medical Affairs with a copy kept in the personnel file.
- Must follow protocols for performing IUC insertion and removal, implant insertion and removal, medication abortion, ultrasounds, and colposcopies as outlined in the PPMW Medical Protocols.
- Must be available to perform IUC insertion and removal, implant insertion and removal, medication abortion, and ultrasounds at all PPMW sites, as needed and determined by the VP of Patient Services and/or the VP of Medical Affairs.
Provide clinical services for scheduled clinician sessions, as well as coverage for clinician days off (vacation, sick, FMLA, maternity, etc) at all health center locations.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the talks performed within this classification. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assignment duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Current DC, MD, or VA license as an NP, PA, or CNM. National certification preferred.
- Three to five years clinical experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- Current CPR certification required. ACLS recommended.
- Proficiency with IUC insertion and removal.
- Proficiency with contraceptive implant insertion and removal
- Ultrasound skills and Medication AB training must be accomplished within 3 months of hire with ongoing demonstration of competency.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate teams.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to manage 3.5 patients per hour.
- Maintain professional, positive attitude with proven ability to contribute effectively to highly functioning work teams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to interact with a diverse population.
- Travel to all PPMW health centers is required.
- Must be highly organized and extremely detail-oriented.
- Excellent computer, interpersonal and listening skills.
- Must be able to work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusion. Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions in various formats required. Ability to multi-task and to work effectively under pressure due to conflicting demands is required. Must be flexible, highly organized, creative and detail-oriented with the ability to set and meet deadlines.
Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, listening and interpersonal relationship communication skills. Must be able to communicate clearly and interact comfortably with a diverse group of clients, staff and volunteers in a non-judgmental, professional and sensitive manner. Ability to speak Spanish and/or Amharic appreciated.
Must possess the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Excellent keyboarding skills with high level of accuracy required. Must possess capacity to learn software programs required for specific position and access electronic communications, including e-mail, extranet and intranet and electronic health records.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. All of the job functions listed within this job description involve to greater and lesser degrees the following physical demands: vision; hearing/listening; clear speech; walking; lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds overhead and 40 pounds from the floor; stooping; kneeling; bending; sitting; standing up to 6 hours at a time; and use of hands to finger, handle, and feel. Must be able to assist with semi-conscious or unconscious youth/adult from a wheelchair to a bed.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee must possess a demonstrated ability to work in a diverse environment and build productive relationships. A demonstrated ability to effectively work independently and collaboratively as part of a team is essential.
- This position performs tasks that involve exposure to blood, fluids, or tissues as well as cleaning solvents and other chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- This position requires the ability to work in high stress, fast paced environment with potential emergency situations.
- Protestors may be present at work and related sites.
- This position requires the ability to work an irregular schedule which could include some weekends, early mornings and evenings.
- The position requires travel and as such employee must provide own reliable transportation for the performance of agency duties.
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, it is not necessarily exhaustive of all responsibilities, duties, efforts, requirements or expectations of this position. Management reserves the right to revise or amend this description to include or remove tasks as circumstances change and the needs of PPMW so dictate.
PPMW is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace