The Director of Product Marketing is responsible for the following:
- Managing the product lifecycle process for all existing products
- Managing the entire process for New Product Development
- Develop product messaging that differentiates new products from others in the market
- Communicate the value of new products to the sales team and develop sales tools that facilitate the selling process
- Plan and take part in the launch of new products and involve several different departments in such launches
- Brief the press and PR teams about new products and take part in presentations
- Through interviews, surveys, focus groups and sales data, gain insight into customer use of current products, untapped opportunities and buyer personas
- Review inventory levels and participate in the MRP forecasting process to ensure product availability
- Establish timetable for development of new products with product management, engineering or manufacturing/operations department
- Use market research data to determine product pricing
- Create product content such as case studies, videos, website copy and blog posts
- Speak and present about products to both external and internal audiences
- Participate in the development of testing new products and the Quality plans
- Propose and keep within a budget
- Research competitor offerings and react when appropriate
- Work with the executive management team in accessing new licensing opportunities.
- Participate with product management of licensed products and licensees
- Evaluation of potential bolt on products/brands and acquisition opportunities
Key Skills required:
- Consumer Products Background: The candidate will not considered unless they have experience in development and marketing of Consumer Products.
- Collaborative skills: As a product marketing manager you will have to work with teams across the company. This will often include the sales and Brand marketing department, the engineering/operations department, press and PR and senior executives. New product launches are inherently ‘cross functional’ and entail coordinating the work of many different people.
- Communication skills: Both speaking and writing abilities have to be tapped in this role. You will frequently have to present about new products and write engaging copy, telling the ‘story’ of products, for various marketing channels.
- Research skills: A crucial part of being a product marketing manager is gaining insight into customer needs and experiences. Analysis of data, surveys and customer interviews will be part of this mix and you need to be well acquainted with these techniques.
- Financial Analysis: Having the skills to do pricing analysis, cost analysis, ROI calculations and other complex financial analysis.
- Product Development Process: Must have an in-depth understanding of the product development process and have launched several products. Must also have worked with the development of new products using contract manufacturing partners as well as China sourcing.
This role requires 4 - 6 years of existing Product Management experience and has a willingness to travel.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $100,000.00 to $130,000.00 /year
- Product Marketing: 5 years