Job Summary: The General Counsel will handle all legal issues affecting Somatus, Inc. He or she is responsible for ensuring the Company’s compliance with laws, rules and regulations. The General Counsel also ensures compliance with SEC, franchise, employment, advertising and trademarks laws. The General Counsel will report directly to the Company's CEO and provide the legal viewpoint to our decision-making processes. The General Counsel will consult with and retain outside counsel as needed for litigation, and other specialized matters. Be a trusted advisor and thought partner to senior leadership to identify and take appropriate measures to mitigate legal and related risks in the operations of Somatus. The incumbent will protect Somatus’ reputation, name, human and financial resources, programs and services. He or she will support, communicate, reinforce, and defend Somatus’ mission, value philosophy, and organizational culture.
- Must have the ability to determine and understand the company’s objective and risk tolerance and to incorporate the information in making legal decisions
- The General Counsel will draft and negotiate contracts with vendors, suppliers and other third parties.
- He or she reviews applicable laws, policies, and regulations to determine positions that best protect the Company and communicates across all business units to support legal compliance and consistency.
- Manage policies and objectives involving local, state, and federal government affairs in coordination with internal subject matter experts.
- Leads the analysis of proposed legislative and regulatory actions, determines the potential impact on the organization and develops responses, including creating policy proposals, providing public testimony and written comments.
- Contributes towards the organization’s government affairs by working with government officials and stakeholders to represent and advocate for the company.
- Responds to day-to-day questions from management and employees, providing advice that will support compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
- Work cross-functionally with the Business, Finance and Technology teams to ensure that contractual terms are compliant with legal and regulatory requirements and company policies;
- Partners with Senior Management to negotiate fee-for-service, shared savings, and capitated payor contracts.
- Serves as the lead for advising and overseeing corporate investigations.
- Serves as the legal expert on all merger & acquisition business opportunities.
- Be adept at handling compliance matters involving revenue cycle compliance issues (i.e. billing, coding, government audits) as well as privacy compliance issues.
- Must be able to devise legal solutions that reduce financial liability
- Provide legal oversight, solutions-oriented guidance and recommendations to stakeholders and Senior Management on all legal matters affecting the Company
- Ensure the legal rights of the Company are protected, its legal obligations and potential exposures and risks are well defined and understood by management, and that the Company complies with applicable laws and regulations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and support for business units and provide appropriate guidance and advice as
- Manage to a budget and minimize unnecessary outside counsel spend.
- Advise the board of directors on all legal matters, including corporate governance and SEC compliance
- Draft, review and advise on all period reports (10Qs, 10Ks, 8ks) and Section 16 filings (Forms 3, 4 and 5) and other securities matters
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors
- Manage all litigation and employment law issues
- Review and negotiate Company contracts.
- Craft solutions to legal and regulatory issues in compliance with Federal and State regulations.
- Manage small legal team
- Manage stock administration
- Manage the compliance program
- Act as Board Secretary
- Identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks
- Base your decision making process on ethics and integrity
- Deal with complex, significant matters in multiple disciplines with competing priorities
- Corporate/Securities: Ongoing securities laws compliance, including preparation of SEC filings ( proxy statements and current reports); manage subsidiary compliance and maintenance of corporate records, including international and domestic company board and shareholder materials; create and maintain corporate records databases; coordinate and perform day-to-day activities relating to corporate governance and filings; assist in mergers and acquisitions-related matters; and support efforts to prepare for meetings and requirements of the Board of Directors and Committees.
- Compliance: Support company compliance initiatives and training programs; act as Records Coordinator and maintain and update legal record retention requirements in support of the corporate Secretary; and assist in the implementation, training, and maintenance of the compliance related policies, processes and procedures as needed.
- Intellectual Property: Review products and services to provide intellectual property clearance, compliance with applicable advertising, export and privacy laws, and compliance with company and industry standards; review marketing materials to provide intellectual property clearance, compliance with applicable advertising and privacy laws, and compliance with company and industry standards; perform trademark clearance searches and assist in management of patent, trademark and copyright portfolios.
- Contract Negotiation . Draft and negotiate contracts with our customers that protect the business-case margin profile and preserve customer relationship
- Review grants and contracts (in-coming and out-going) with vendors and partner organizations.
- Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically
- Identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks
- Provide education and training to staff to insure awareness of legal issues and how to spot and/or avoid them. Subjects include ethics, privacy, political activity and procurement.
- Coordinate various audit and review programs to promote process improvement, ensure compliance, and mitigate risk throughout the business.
- Keep abreast of standard practices and trends affecting the company's industries.
- Participate in executive management meetings and present reports and recommendations regarding legal matters.
- Substantive experience managing relationships with and providing guidance to a diverse group of senior executives, the CEO, and Board of Directors, as well as an ability to work across organizational lines.
JD from accredited law school.
At least 10 years of progressively responsible legal experience, preferably obtained in the private sector.
Licensed in good standing to practice law in the Virginia, District of Columbia or ability to waive into DC
Experience with complex government, quasi-government and/or nonprofit institutions.
Substantive experience managing relationships with and providing guidance to a diverse group of senior executives and the CEO, as well as an ability to work across organizational lines.
Excellent written and oral communication skills and a strong customer-focus orientation.
High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas
Job Type: Full-time
- progressively responsible legal: 10 years (Required)