For Our Future ("FOF") and For Our Future Action Fund ("FOFAF") are allied organizations together seeking a Regional Communications Organizer to support an ambitious communications program. This is a full-time position with benefits & competitive pay that lasts from May 2018 – December 31, 2018. Salary commensurate with experience. Position based in Flint, Michigan.
For Our Future does things DIFFERENTLY. We are committed to helping community partners build their own communications capacity and to seek new and innovative ways to use social media to cultivate community-based progressive voices, arm them with compelling content, and train them to be effective communicators.
For Our Future is a project of For Our Future Action Fund ("FOFAF"), a non-profit social welfare organization, & For Our Future ("FOF"), a federally registered independent expenditure political action committee that incorporates both issue advocacy and electoral programming.
A Mix of Traditional Communications and Digital Work
Qualifications and Skills:
- Working with the Communications Director to ensure that communications materials, validators, and assets are in step with overall strategic plan and goals;
- Monitoring social media and new local digital channels from across the political and non-political spectrum;
- Exploring and executing cutting edge, interactive ways of communicating with key audiences online;
- Working with the Capital Region Field team to identify and collect stories identified through partner organizations, and through internal canvassers;
- Following up, vetting, and training storytellers to spread their message online, in the local media, and statewide;
- Identifying new partners and, in coordination with the Communications Director and other departments, helping them in building capacity and implementing their own communications campaigns;
- Producing written content as needed under tight deadlines;
- Assisting in the development and implementation of earned media plans, building media events, and garnering significant press coverage;
(In no particular order)
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion for progressive causes and for advocating and communicating authentic stories about Michiganders;
- Great writing talent;
- Cultural competency necessary to thrive on a diverse team;
- Solutions-oriented approach, with a willingness to take initiative, while juggling several priorities that may change quickly;
- A growth mindset: willingness and ability to receive feedback and correct accordingly;
- Relentlessly goal-oriented;
- Maintaining enthusiasm and calm demeanor in stressful situations;
- Nimble, committed to teamwork, with an exceptional ability to stay organized and to manage their time effectively, and possessing a keen attention to detail;
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member in a busy office with personal enthusiasm, optimism, and a sense of humor.
- Be prepared to split their time between Mid-Michigan, Southeast Michigan, and travel throughout the state.
- Demonstrated experience with successfully placing print and digital stories, op-eds and ensuring appropriate messages are placed in proactive and reactive stories;
- Experience in media relations with a strong preference for political and campaign communications experience;
- Personal relationships with members of the press corps in your region;
- Deep love for the state of Michigan.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
For Our Future offers the following benefits to all full-time employees:
How to Apply:
- Health Insurance Coverage - 95% Employer Paid and 5% Employee
- Retirement Savings Plan with matching contributions up to the first 5%
- $100 Monthly Cellphone Bill Reimbursement
- 10 Days Paid Time Off granted at the start of every new calendar year, as well as all paid federal holidays
Applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, three employer references and a
sample press release and digital content example to:
https://boards.greenhouse.io/forourfuture/jobs/1143906 ( https://boards.greenhouse.io/forourfuture/jobs/1143906 )