Gideon Hausner Jewish Day School
Middle School Humanities Teaching Full or Part Time Position
2018-19 School Year
Start Date: August 10, 2018
Gideon Hausner Jewish Day School seeks a creative, collaborative dynamic educator to join our middle school humanities faculty.The successful candidate will teach an integrated humanities class to middle school students. This educator will work closely with the other members of the humanities team and the other members of the grade level team to create and implement high quality, engaging project-based, multi-disciplinary instructional units aligned with common core history and language arts standards.
In addition, this individual will serve as a middle school advisor and develop and teach an elective class to middle school students during the fall and spring semesters.
- Passionate, student-centered approach to teaching.
- Ability to differentiate instruction to address the needs of all students.
- Commitment to meaningful collaboration with colleagues and parents.
- Excellent communication skills and commitment to keeping parents informed and engaged.
- Willingness to take risks and seize leadership opportunities as they arise.
- Commitment to staying current with research on best practices.
- Interest in professional growth and commitment to continuous learning.
- Commitment to improving the school as a whole and willingness to share best practices with others.
- Ability to be self-reflective and commitment to learning from feedback received from colleagues, administrators, and students.
- Proficiency with technology including Google suite of applications, iPads, and typical classroom instructional and management applications.
- Design and implement project-based, multi-disciplinary instructional units aligned with common core history and language arts standards.
- Collaborate with grade level colleagues to plan, integrate, and enhance instruction in all curricular areas.
- Develop dynamic, engaging learning opportunities that interconnect humanities subjects including English and history.
- Teach an elective class.
- Lead a weekly Advisory class to foster year-long academic, social and emotional growth for a small group of students in conjunction with other faculty members and the school counselor.
- Attend and actively participate in all faculty meetings.
- Participate in special school events including, but not limited to, Open House, Back to School NIght, special student performances. Attendance at other community/school events is encouraged.
- Accompany students on annual overnight field trip.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Four-year degree from a college or university
- Valid teacher credential and/orprevious middle school and/or high school teaching experience preferred.
- Undergraduate degree or at least 24 semester hours, in English, history, or liberal arts.
- Excellent classroom management skills.
- Competitive salary
- Benefits including: Medical, Dental, Vision, 403b Retirement Plan, Long- and Short-term Disability, Voluntary Life/Accident Insurance, Work-Life Balance Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Pre-tax payroll deduction also available for Commuter Checks and Flexible Spending Account.
- Gideon Hausner Jewish Day School is an independent community school with an engaged and motivated student body that participates fully in both Jewish and secular activities. We maintain outstanding academics and a strong sense of community while instilling Jewish values and traditions. We teach to the whole child, focusing on social and emotional growth, academic and critical-thinking skills, as well as a wide array of enrichment activities. Our philosophy strongly encourages inclusivity and diversity; ethics and values are infused throughout the K-8 curriculum.
- Hausner is dedicated to professional development. Teachers are encouraged to collaborate with their peers at Hausner, as well as at other schools. Faculty have leadership opportunities within the school and participates in professional and curriculum development opportunities throughout the year, both nationally and abroad. Our benefits and friendly community inspire excellent teacher retention.
- Hausner’s middle school program, where the average student-teacher ratio is 18:1, was founded in 1998. Our 1:1 device program, introduced in 2012-2013, provides on-demand access to technology resources, both at school and at home. MS students participate in electives ranging from media arts, to drama to programming and sports.
- Four-acre Palo Alto campus features a first-rate library, Beit Tefilah, a design lab and design studio, an art room, a music room, a state-of-the-art gym and expansive outdoor playing fields.
Gideon Hausner Jewish Day School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to an inclusive, welcoming community, where all are accepted and are treated with respect.
Hausner does not unlawfully discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of age, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, veteran status, national, or ethnic origin, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time