This is the key position of the Site Leadership Team in the Safety, Health & Environmental Sustainability area of expertise. The primary objective of the role is to protect and enhance the safety of our employees and our Site environmental sustainability through prevention, fostering a culture of caring where safety, health and environment are ingrained as a core value, achieving world class performance in support of a highly efficient, low cost operations via an NCE/SH&E Zero mindset. The position ensures compliance of all SH&E aspects of the Site and sets local SH&E strategies for overall success in alignment with corporate policy and common practices.
In addition to overall input to corporate and Site safety, health and environmental initiatives, strategies, programs and procedures, responsibilities include supporting factory via hands on counsel, supervision, assessment and implementation of :
Site SH&E Culture – leads/fosters/develops a caring culture where safety, health and environment are ingrained as a core value with all employees, everyone believes zero is achievable, everyone is actively engaged in performing their work in a safe manner, everyone actively interacts with co-workers to prevent at-risk behaviors. Actively participates on Site Leadership Team and effectively leads, coaches and develops operations line supervision to be effective SH&E leaders/coaches in their respective positions.
SH&E Performance – Partners with Site leadership team to develop Site SH&E Key Priorities, Drivers and Activities with Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to drive Site SH&E performance improvement. Ensures these are aligned with Corporate Strategies, Programs and Plans with the objective of sustainable World Class SH&E performance.
Compliance – Ensure Site maintains continuous “audit ready” state of compliance with company SH&E policies and procedures as well as all applicable external regulatory requirements. Responsible to create and ensure implementation of necessary systems, processes and procedures, including management of change.
SH&E Strategies, Programs and Plans - Develops SH&E best in class programs, systems and processes, including training and coaching to establish clear procedures on SH&E measures and precautions. Drives key effective, sustainable implementation Corporate, Division and Site SH&E initiatives, strategies, programs and procedures, responsibilities via hands on leadership, coaching and team work.
Risk Assessment and Elimination - Leads the effective implementation and utilization of risk assessment and risk prediction processes in the Site to ensure these are effective at identifying and mitigating hazards and effectively communicated/ understood by all affected employees. Ensures investigation of all SH&E related incidents utilizing NCE tools to drive to root cause and identify actions to prevent recurrence. Ensures all actions to prevent recurrence are effectively implemented. Ensures effective injury case management process is fully implemented, well understood and functioning as desired.
SH&E Capability Building – Develops Site SH&E talent through active support, coaching and feedback with the goal of developing talent that can move on to more challenging positions. Leads development of SH&E capabilities of all employees and contractors through effective content development and delivery of Site SH&E training that ensures comprehension. Develops and maintains effective SH&E communication processes to promote SH&E awareness regarding performance trends and key concepts/initiatives.
SH&E pillar/NCE/NIMS – Act as Site lead for implementation of SH&E components of NCE. Ensure third party ISO and OHSAS certification. Works through established systems, applies related tools. Effectively coach and utilize NCE tools, systems and process to enhance Site SH&E and overall performance.
Liaison and technical expertise support – Provides technical expertise/coaching as needed in all areas and initiatives of the function. Partners with other key functions on initiatives including Engineering, Operations, HR, Quality, NCE, etc to deliver on goals and plans.
REQUIREMENTS AND MINIMUM EDUCATION LEVEL:
- Bachelors Degree in a scientific discipline or SH&E related field preferred.
- Professional certifications in SH&E related fields are considered beneficial and may include CIH, NEBOSH, CSP, CEM, etc.
- Prefer 3 years experience in SH&E roles with the last position held as a Site SH&E leader and/or division, regional, or corporate safety and environmental experience, but will consider new graduates with a degree in safety or safety management.
- Experience in the World Class industry for SH&E and working knowledge of ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, LEAN and TPM concepts.
- Thorough knowledge of OSHA, EPA, DOT regulations.
- Must be capable of working in a fast-paced environment with minimal direct supervision and have strong demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, and self-initiative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to drive sustainable organizational change.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong cross-functional teams capable of delivering desired results.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and influence across a diverse range of people from Corporate /Division leadership to a factory floor associate.
- Demonstrated ability to think both strategically and tactically and quickly transition between the two.
- Good technical understanding of SH&E issues and their relationship to production/engineering and job functions as it relates to building in prevention.
- Strong demonstrated verbal / written communications, analytical and problem solving skills. Must be detailed and results oriented.
- Ability to communicate complex regulatory and technical issues in lay terms.
- Ability to achieve results through dotted line situations
- Proficiency with Windows based applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Ability to master other specialized software.
The Nestlé Companies are equal employment and affirmative action employers and looking for diversity in qualified candidates for employment.