- MS in Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, Industrial and System Engineering, or equivalent, with 5 years’ experience in development and deployment of advanced technology products and systems
- Competence in use and application of advanced methods and computational packages for modeling, simulation, optimization, hardware design, and data analytics applied to solving engineering problems
- Experience working with cross-functional teams, suppliers, and field operations to define system requirements and evaluation metrics, and gaining consensus on solution to be implemented
- Defined technical, performance, functional, and safety specifications to meet customer requirements, working with engineering and supplier teams to reconcile and close gaps
- This role can be located in either Seattle or Nashville*
Amazon is building the next generation software, hardware, and processes that will run the global network of fulfillment centers that move many millions of units of inventory, and ensure that customers get what they want when we promised. We do this by building automated solutions to handle things that technology does well, while relying on people to handle things that humans do well. We are constantly innovating in the ways we are automating and accelerating the delivery of products and packages which includes building custom hardware and applying robotics, autonomy, supply chain optimization, machine learning, manipulation, image processing, and real-time data processing using distributed systems.
WW Strategic Sourcing and Value Engineering works with the world’s leading automation strategic partners who have the technology and resources to meet Amazon’s growth needs on a global scale, integrating and deploying Amazon’s internally developed robotics into “end-to-end” highly automated systems for receiving, through inventory storage, and order fulfillment spanning single and multiple facilities comprising the Amazon supply chain. We are seeking a talented innovative and solutions-oriented engineer to lead and deliver value engineering projects that provide superior delivery to customers at extreme high rates, optimized productivity, and best-in-class quality at reduced cost.
If the notion of using groundbreaking technologies to develop fulfillment and logistics systems in the multi-national leader that is Amazon has your attention, bringing your engineering skill set to the next level excites you; working with some of the smartest people you may ever meet gets your heart pumping; then come join us and be a part of our global initiative of developing and delivering next generation, world-class fulfillment systems.
This role includes the following responsibilities:
- Develop pipeline of Value Engineering projects, with highest potential candidates selected jointly by Amazon and supplier partners for implementation with appropriate cross-functional resources.
- Lead quantitative evaluation and optimization of automation systems and equipment to meet end-to-end system goals, integrating Amazon’s internally developed technologies with externally supplied material handling systems. Formulate the technical approach, identify data requirements, and computer modeling and simulation tools to quantify the benefits, costs, and operational impacts of VE projects.
- Working with cross functional internal and external teams, formulate and execute work plans to validate VE technical and cost feasibility, through modeling, simulation, and field trials.
- Provide technical and operational data and analytics to Finance to validate benefits and costs. Support writing of Capital Appropriation Requests and Change Orders required to execute the project.
- Provide critical evaluation and validation of equipment and system level specifications as required for VE projects to internal and supplier technical teams, to assure delivery of required safety, performance, and reliability in operations.
- Respond at a tactical level to address critical short term needs, and initiate or support strategic initiatives with global impact.
- Advanced graduate level training, either PhD or MBA
- Expertise in phase gate product development processes
- Capability to analyze data from validation testing and operations, quantifying statistical validity and confidence limits
- Innovations leading to step change in product or system performance, quality, and cost
- Experience working with suppliers and respective supply bases to resolve technical, bottle neck, yield, and lead time issues, through manufacturing process change or lean principles.
- Strong customer focus, track record of exceeding their expectations and responding to critical feedback
- Excellent written (white papers) and oral communication skills
- Track record leading multiple complex projects and routinely delivering on time, improving performance, saving costs without compromising quality
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.